Honey-Glazed Sweet Potatoes
Recipe courtesy of Portland Fire & Rescue's Nurse Janet Woodside
Instead of topping canned sweet potatoes with a glaze and miniature marshmallows, this version uses fresh sweet potatoes and a lighter, less gooey glaze.
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 2 tablespoons honey
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 2 pounds sweet potatoes (about 4 large)
- Cracked black pepper or chopped herb of choice (rosemary, sage or thyme)
- Heat oven to 375 degrees.
- Spray a baking dish with nonstick spray.
- Combine water, brown sugar, honey and olive oil in a cup to form a sauce.
- Peel and cut the sweet potatoes into wedges.
- Place in a single layer in the baking dish.
- Pour the sauce over the sweet potatoes. Turn to coat them.
- Cover and bake for about 45 minutes or until tender; turn the sweet potatoes once or twice to continue coating them.
- When tender, remove the cover and continue to bake until the glaze is set, about 15 minutes.
- Serve topped with cracked black pepper or chopped herb of choice.
Yield: 8 servings
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
January 27, 2011