Station 18 Firefighter Josh reads to kindergarten students in Ms. Hawes's classroom
Read Across America is a program launched by the National Education Association to focus on the importance of reading with children. Over 45 million readers across America took part in reading celebrations meant to promote reading in children and celebrate one of the greats in children's literature, Dr. Seuss.
Station 18 Firefighter David entertains kindergarten students in Ms. Patterson's classroom
On Wednesday, March 2, 2011, Portland Fire & Rescue's Lieutenant Mike and Firefighters Josh, Robert, and David from Station 18 C-shift helped celebrate "Read Across America" by visiting and reading books with kindergarten students at Maplewood Elementary School. Maplewood Elementary School is part of the Portland Public School system, is located in SW Portland, and is known for its emphasis on a well-rounded education for all students.
Fire Lieutenant Mike asks young students how to safety exit their
home in case of a fire
Students were excited to sit and listen to the firefighters read books. Afterwards, the firefighters answered student’s questions about what it is like being a firefighter. Station 18 firefighters reported that they had a fun time, it was a great experience, and they can’t wait to participate alongside the SW Portland community in next year’s Read Across America events!
Did you Know?
- Read Across America Day is celebrated on or around March 2 every year
- The reading literacy program began in 1997
- Many schools declare it "pajama day" or "crazy sock day" in honor of the children's literature icon, Dr. Seuss
- Children spend the day reading stories, engaging in fun reading activities, and focusing on reading skills
- Read Across America lesson plans are available for children of all ages
- Events are held at schools and libraries nationwide with many of them featuring appearances from the ever popular The Cat in the Hat
- Green eggs and ham and Pink Yink ink are popular menu items on Read Across America Day
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
March 2, 2011
Follow Portland Fire & Rescue on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube