Kalua Pig and Cabbage
Recipe courtesy of Portland Firefigher Aina
- 4-8 pound pork butt roast, pork shoulder, picnic roast
- 1 tablespoon liquid smoke
- 2-1/2 tablespoons Hawaiian Coarse grain or kosher salt
1/2 to 1 head of cabbage
- Preheat oven to 325 degrees.
- Poke holes in the pork with a knife.
- Rub pork with liquid smoke (Apx 2 tbsp, or until doused)and 2 tablespoons of the salt or until pork is covered with salt.
- Wrap pork in foil and seal tightly.
- Place foil packet in a baking pan (to prevent drippings from getting on your oven) and bake for 4 to 5 hours.
- Cut up a head of cabbage in thin slices.
- Shred pork and sprinkle with Hawaiian salt to taste.
- Place shredded pork into large pot on top of cut cabbage.
- Add remaining juice from cooked pork to pot.
- Stir together.
If you need to speed up the process, you can raise the temperature to 350-400 degrees and add some water to the pan. Check hourly to ensure there are always fluids in the bottom of the pan while cooking.
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
April 20, 2011
Follow Portland Fire & Rescue on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube