FIRE CAMP 2011 | June 24, 25, & 26, 2011
Building Young Women’s Confidence, Leadership,
& Teamwork Skills in a Fire Service Environment
The application period for Fire Camp 2011 is currently open.
Are you a young woman between the age of 16 and 19? Are you interested in gaining confidence and leadership skills? Would you like to learn what firefighting is all about?
Portland Fire & Rescue, in partnership with other metro-area fire agencies, will be offering a 3-day fire training camp specifically for young women ages 16 to 19. The goals of Fire Camp are to instill confidence and build leadership and team skills in young women and to provide an opportunity to try firefighting through hands-on training. Fire Camp will be taught and supervised by women firefighters from the Portland metro area.
Fire Camp 2011 will be held June 24, 25, and 26, 2011 at Portland Fire & Rescue's Training & Safety Facility located at 4800 NE 122nd Avenue in Portland, Oregon. Fire Camp will be held at no cost to participants. This will be a non-residential camp and participants are responsible for their own transportation to and from.
Over the course of three days, Fire Camp participants will be involved in:
- Orientation to Fire Camp: Tour of the facilities, bunker drill, basic overview of activities, expectations, discussion of fire and fire extinguishers, practical exercise with fire hoses and fire extinguishers
- Self-Contained Breathing Apparatus (SCBA): Physical exercise drills, team building exercise, familiarization of SCBA, SCBA exercises, search and rescue techniques using the SCBA, teamwork exercises
- Interior Fire, High Angle Rescue, Confined Space: Physical exercise drills, team building exercise, watch an interior fire go through the stages of fire development, high angle rescue techniques, confined space rescue
- Vehicle Extrication and Medical Response: Physical exercise drills, team building exercise, visit a fire station, become familiar with different firefighting equipment and apparatus, vehicle extrication exercise, medical response and a ladder exercise
- Demonstrations: Scenario work using all the equipment, public demonstration showing the knowledge and skills acquired throughout Fire Camp
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
April 27, 2011