Grilled Blueberry BBQ Salmon
Courtesy of PF&R Summer Intern Cece Marshall
- 1 1/4 pounds salmon filet (whole or cut into portions)
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1/2 teaspoon pepper
For the Sauce:
- 1/3 cup fresh blueberries
- 1/3 cup ketchup
- 1 tablespoon apple cider vinegar
- 1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar (blueberry flavored)
- 2 tablespoons brown sugar
- 1/4 teaspoon garlic powder
- 1/2 teaspoon onion powder
- 1/2 teaspoon ground mustard
- 1 teaspoon worcestershire sauce
- Heat a small saucepan over low heat and add blueberries.
- Heat until the begin to bubble and burst, about 10 minutes, then mash with a fork.
- Add in ketchup, both vinegars, brown sugar, onion and garlic powder, ground mustard and worcestershire sauce.
- Whisk well to combine and break up blueberries and turn the heat up to medium.
- Heat until mixture bubbles, stirring every few minutes, then turn heat back down to low.
- Cook for 20 minutes, whisking every few minutes.
- Sauce will be slightly clumpy and thicker than regular BBQ sauce.
- Preheat your grill to it’s highest setting.
- Season the salmon with salt and pepper, and once the grill is hot, lay filet directly on top.
- Cook for 5 minutes, then gently flip.
- Using a pastry brush, brush BBQ sauce on salmon and let cook until flaky and opaque, about 5-6 more minutes. This will also depend on the thickness of your salmon (mine was about 1 1/2 inches thick).
- Once salmon is finished, slather with remaining BBQ sauce and serve.
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
June 16, 2011
Follow Portland Fire & Rescue on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube