Southwestern Turkey-Cheddar Burgers with Grilled Sweet Onions
Courtesy of Portland Fire & Rescue's Nurse Janet Woodside
- 3/4 c finely chopped sweet onion
- 1/3 c wheat germ
- 1 1/2 tsp ancho chile powder
- 3/4 tsp ground cumin
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp ground red pepper
- 1 1/2 lbs ground lean turkey breast
- 4 oz extra sharp cheddar cheese, thinly sliced
- 6 thick-cut slices sweet onion
- 6 Kaiser rolls, split
- Combine first seven ingredients in a large bowl.
- Divide mixture into 6 equal proportions, shaping into 1/2 inch thick patties.
- Place patties on an oiled grill rack; grill 5 minutes; flip and grill 2 minutes.
- Place cheese slices over patties; grill additional 5 minutes, or until done.
- Remove from grill and let stand 5 minutes.
- Place onion slices on oiled grill rack,; grill 4 minutes each side or until browned and tender. Place rolls cut-side down on grill and grill 1 minute or until toasted.
- Serve each burger with onion slice, and your favorite mustard or ketchup.
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
June 29, 2011