Island Paradise Shrimp Salad
This recipe is courtesy of Retired Portland Firefighter Mike McGuire's wife Deborah! The recipe won a grand prize at a local county fair and Deborah is now using the recipe to enter the Hawaiian Air recipe contest. So give the recipe a try and if you enjoy the salad as much as we have, visit http://aloha.hawaiianairlines.com/entries/public_show/911 and throw her your vote!
- 1/3 cup fresh lemon juice
- 1/3 cup olive oil
- 1 teaspoon tobasco sauce
- 1 teaspoon Worcestershire sauce
- Salt to taste
- 5 cloves minced fresh garlic
- 2 cups cooked whole wheat berries *
- 3/4 cup finely diced Maui onion
- 3/4 cup finely chopped carrot
- 3/4 cup finely diced red cabbage
- 3/4 cup slivered red pepper
- 2 teaspoon fresh thyme leaves
- 1/4 cup finely chopped fresh basil
- 1/4 cup finely chopped parsley
- 3/4 cup chopped roasted macadamia nuts
- 1/4 cup finely chopped dried mango
- Salt and pepper to taste
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 1 1/2 pounds medium shrimp, shelled
- Combine dressing ingredients in a jar with lid.
- Shake well and let sit at room temp for 30 minutes.
- In a large salad bowl, combine all salad ingredients.
- Cook 1 ½ pounds of medium shelled shrimp in 2 tablespoons olive oil over med-high heat until pink and just cooked through.
- Transfer to a plate and cool.
- Add shrimp to the salad.
- Shake dressing again and pour about 2/3 onto salad.
- Mix very well.
- Taste and adjust with remainder of dressing if desired.
- Any remaining dressing should be stored in fridge.
- Garnish with red leaf lettuce leaves and red pepper rings.
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
September 6 2011
Follow Portland Fire & Rescue on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube