What are the minimum qualifications to apply to become a Portland Firefighter?
- At least 18 years of age at the time of conditional offer of employment
- Excellent health, free from any mental or physical condition which would interfere with effective performance on the job
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED at the time of conditional offer of employment
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and in good standing, at the time of conditional offer of employment
- Ability to become certified as an EMT-B with the State of Oregon Health Authority before an offer of employment. If recruitment is for firefighter/paramedic, ability to become certified as an EMT-P with the State of Oregon Health Authority before an offer of employment. For Oregon State EMS reciprocity information click here.
- Have no criminal conviction that would prevent certification from the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST). https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard/viewSingleRule.action?ruleVrsnRsn=242152
When will Portland Fire & Rescue test again?
Currently, we have not set a date for the next recruitment for entry level firefighter. Click the following link to be notified when we open a future recruitment. Select the Fire & EMS category.https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/portlandor/jobInterestCards/categories
I am currently on the eligible hire list for Recruitment 2019-00228 and/or Recruitment 2019-01137. How will I be notified if I am being considered for hire?
Candidates being considered for hire will be contacted by the Recruiting Office via email approximately 3-6 months prior to the start of a fire academy.
On average, how many recruits are in each academy?
Depending on the vacancies, an academy may consist of 8 - 16 recruits, subject to change.
What type of workshops will Portland Fire & Rescue host?
Workshops being considered are basic mechanical aptitude, firefighter fitness, and interview skills.
Will I be notified of workshops?
No. Check the website frequently under the Join PF&R tab.
Is there a fee to attend the workshops?
No. All workshops provided by Portland Fire & Rescue are free to attend. Registration is required and a link to register will be provided when the workshop is posted on the website.
Do I need fire experience or fire education to apply?
Do I need my Oregon EMT-B at the time of application?
No. A minimum of an Oregon EMT-B is required at the time of conditional offer of employment.
Does PF&R have an upper age limit to apply or to be hired?
Does PF&R accept lateral transfers?
No, if you work for PF&R you will need to go through the testing and training processes.
What is included in the medical evaluation?
PF&R’s doctor's follow the NFPA 1582 “Standard on Medical Requirements for Firefighters”.
How many Paramedics do PF&R have on apparatus?
Generally, PF&R staffs each engine / truck in the city with one Paramedic and three EMT's.
How many sworn firefighters are currently employed with PF&R?
As of February 2019, PF&R has approximately 650 sworn firefighters.
What shift schedule does PF&R have?
PF&R firefighters work a 24-hour on and 48-hour off schedule.
What is the salary range for a PF&R firefighter?
As of February 8, 2019, the annual base salary for a firefighter starts at $59,892 and ends at $85,883.
I have completed and achieved a passing score on the CPAT. Will this count towards the physical agility portion of PF&R’s testing process?
Yes. Do not submit CPAT certification until requested. Full details will be posted on the appropriate job announcement.
What is the benefit and retirement package for PF&R firefighters?
Does PF&R transport patients to local hospitals?
PF&R firefighters do not transport sick and injured persons to local hospitals. Citizens that need emergency care receive initial treatment from PF&R firefighters and are then taken to local hospitals, if needed, by a private ambulance company.