What are the minimum qualifications to apply to become a Portland Firefighter?
- At least 18 years of age at the time of conditional offer of employment
- Excellent health, free from any mental or physical condition which would interfere with effective performance on the job
- Possession of a high school diploma or GED at the time of conditional offer of employment
- Possession of a valid driver’s license and in good standing, at the time of conditional offer of employment
- Ability to become certified as an EMT-B with the State of Oregon Health Authority before an offer of employment. If recruitment is for firefighter/paramedic, ability to become certified as an EMT-P with the State of Oregon Health Authority before an offer of employment. (Entry Level Firefighter only) For Oregon State EMS reciprocity information click here.
- Have no criminal conviction that would prevent certification from the Oregon Department of Public Safety Standards and Training (DPSST). https://secure.sos.state.or.us/oard/viewSingleRule.action?ruleVrsnRsn=242152
When will Portland Fire & Rescue test again?
Currently, we have not set a date for the next recruitment for entry level firefighter. Click the following link to be notified when we open a future recruitment. Select the Fire & EMS category.https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/portlandor/jobInterestCards/categories
Does PF&R accept lateral transfers?
Currently, PF&R is evaluating the need for lateral firefighters and anticipates a lateral firefighter recruitment in January / February 2022. Details will be provided on the website as they become available. Click the following link to be notified when we open a future recruitment. Select the Fire & EMS category.https://www.governmentjobs.com/careers/portlandor/jobInterestCards/catego
On average, how many recruits are in each academy?
Depending on the vacancies, an academy may consist of 8 - 24 recruits. Subject to change.
Do I need fire experience or fire education to apply?
No fire experience or fire education is required for entry level firefighter recruitments.
Do I need my Oregon EMT-B at the time of application?
No. A minimum of an Oregon EMT-B is required at the time of conditional offer of employment. (Entry level firefighter only)
Does PF&R have an upper age limit to apply or to be hired?
How many sworn firefighters are currently employed with PF&R?
As of February 2019, PF&R has approximately 650 sworn firefighters.
What shift schedule does PF&R follow?
PF&R firefighters work a 24-hour on and 48-hour off schedule.
What is the salary range for a PF&R firefighter?
As of October 2021, the annual base salary for a firefighter starts at $51,639 - $93-291 (after 5 years).
I have completed and achieved a passing score on the CPAT. Will this count towards the physical agility portion of PF&R’s testing process?
Yes. Do not submit CPAT certification until requested. Full details will be posted on the appropriate job announcement.
What is the benefit and retirement package for PF&R firefighters?