Courtesy of Portland Fire & Rescue's Nurse Janet Woodside
- Preheat a waffle iron.
- In a large bowl, beat the margarine, honey and molasses until well-blended. Beat in the egg substitute and milk.
- In a medium bowl, whisk the flour, baking powder, cinnamon, ginger and allspice. Stir the dry ingredients into the wet mixture just enough to moisten all ingredients.
- In a clean, dry medium bowl, beat the egg whites until stiff. Gently fold the whites into the batter.
- Bake in the waffle iron until lightly browned, about 5 to 7 minutes
- Top gingerbread waffles with your favorite fresh fruit.
- Recipe makes six waffles.
Per waffle: 343 calories, 7.8g fat (21 percent of calories), 3mg cholesterol, 200mg sodium, 1.1g dietary fiber
Portland Fire & Rescue
We Respond: Always Ready, Always There
December 21, 2011
Follow Portland Fire & Rescue on Facebook, Twitter, and YouTube