Visit NW Natural online at https://www.nwnatural.com
Careless digging can damage underground utilities, causing disruption of vital services, property damage and even possible injury. Portland Fire & Rescue, in partnership with NW Natural Gas, urges citizens to take the proper steps to avoid damage and prevent expensive repairs, project delays, and costly fines.
Prior to outdoor construction or digging, contractors and property owners in Oregon are encouraged to call 1-800-332-2344. In Washington, contact 1-800-424-5555.
Or, simply call 8-1-1.
NW Natural and other underground utilities respond to locate requests (someone inquiring where underground lines are located) by marking the location of mains and service lines. This helps ensure that digging in the area will be conducted safely. NW Natural also takes further steps to assure the safe operation of its natural gas distribution system:
- Pipelines are designed, constructed, and tested under rigid specifications established by the U.S. Department of Transportation.
- A high safety margin is designed into the pipe to allow it to withstand any stress that might occur because of ground movement.
- The company installs flexible polyethylene plastic and high-strength steel pipelines; all pipe materials must meet high quality standards.
- After many years of experience, these pipe installations have proven to be resilient and resistant to land movement associated with earthquakes, landslides, and other natural disasters.
- NW Natural personnel frequently patrol the company’s mains and service lines to ensure continued safe and reliable operation.
For information about excavation laws and enforcement actions, or other related Call Before You Dig issues, visit the following web sites: