Pizza for Breakfast
Courtesy of the International Association of Firefighters "Fit to Survive" Menu
- 1½ c frozen loose-pack diced hash brown potatoes with peppers and onion
- 1 clove garlic, minced
- 1½ c liquid eggs (i.e. Egg Beaters) or 6 eggs, beaten
- �� c fat-free milk
- 1 tbsp fresh basil, chopped or 1 tsp dried
- ½ tsp salt (optional)
- ¼ tsp freshly ground pepper
- 1 tbsp olive oil
- 1 (14 oz) Italian bread shell (i.e. Boboli)
- 1 c shredded low-fat mozzarella cheese
- 2 plum tomatoes, halved lengthwise and sliced
- ¼ c shredded fresh basil (as garnish, optional)
- Preheat oven to 375ºF.
- Coat a large nonstick skillet with cooking spray.
- Heat over medium heat and when hot, add potatoes and garlic.
- Cook for about 4 minutes stirring occasionally until tender.
- While potatoes are cooking, whisk together egg, milk, 1 tablespoon basil, salt, and pepper in a small bowl.
- Drizzle olive oil over potatoes and add egg mixture.
- Let cook without moving until eggs begin to set on bottom and around edge, about 1-2 minutes.
- Using large spatula, lift edges of potato/eggs and let uncooked eggs run underneath to cook.
- Continue cooking until eggs are cooked but not dry.
- Place bread shell on a large baking sheet.
- Sprinkle with half the cheese, top with potato/egg mixture, tomatoes and remaining cheese.
- Bake for 10 minutes or until cheese is melted.
- Sprinkle with ¼ cup shredded basil, if desired.
- Cut into eight wedges to serve.
- Calories 233
- Total Fat 7 g
- Sodium 579 mg
- Total Carbohydrates 29 g
- Fiber 2 g
- Protein 15 g