The station was closed in 2010 due to budget cutsRead More…
55 SW Ash Street, Portland, OR 97204
June 9, 2012
Portland Fire & Rescue responded to a residential fire (9046 NE Sandy Blvd.)at 5pm this evening. There were reports of black smoke coming from the rear of the house, which usually signifies to responders that the fire is growing rapidly. Fire crews from Station 12 (Sumner) and Station 28 (Rose City) responded in minutes (Station 12 arrived in 2 minutes) and quickly formulated a plan of attack. "The house was very hot and the smoke was starting to bank down when we entered the structure," said Wendi Colmone, a 12 year veteran. Their quick response kept the fire contained to the back bedroom and limited the amount of damage.
The resident was treated for smoke related injuries by Portland Fire paramedics and transported to Emanuel hospital. The cause of the fire is still under investigation and damages were estimated at $5,000.
Portland Fire & Rescue wants to remind all that your first priority in the event of a fire is getting out safely:
1. Feel door handles, if they are warm do not open them. Find another way out.
2. Close doors behind you, this will help contain the fire.
3. Stay low when there is smoke, where the air is cleaner and cooler.
4. Call 911 from outside....once outside, stay outside!
5. If your clothes are on fire, stop, drop and roll.
6. Quickly cool any burns with water and seek medical attention.