55 SW Ash Street, Portland, OR 97204
Portland Fire & Rescue was dispatched at 8:47 AM to a report of a gas line being severed by a City of Portland utility crew at 15056 NE Glisan Ave.. Engine 31 (Rockwood) was the first unit to arrive and reported that a line approximately three inches in diameter had been severed and was venting gas. Portland Fire crews connected to a hydrant and stretched hose lines to protect the scene until it could be secured.
NE Glisan was shut down between NE 149th and NE 153rd for a brief time and homes in the immediate area were evacuated as a precautionary measure. A NW Natural crew arrived to cap and shut down the severed line. Portland Fire crews then used gas monitors to assure that the gas had dissipated prior to allowing the residents to return to their homes. At 9:53 AM the road was opened to resume traffic.
Portland Fire reminds you that if you smell gas:
* Do not attempt to locate gas leaks.
* Do not remain in any building when there is a strong gas odor.
* Avoid sparks -- do not operate any electrical switches, appliances or lights.
* Do not use telephones or elevators in the area of a strong gas odor.
* Do not position or operate vehicles and power equipment where leaking gas may be present.
* Do not smoke or use lighters, matches or other open flames.
* Report the gas leak immediately.