NEWS RELEASE 12/31/12: Tips to Help You Ring in the New Year Safely
Please celebrate safely this New Years Eve by following these guidelines provided by Portland Fire & Rescue.
Celebrating at Home
* Test your smoke alarms and ensure that you have one on every floor and in every sleeping area.
* Ensure that fire extinguishers are in good working order and familiarize yourself with their use by reading instructions.
* Anything that produces an open flame should be operated and monitored by a sober adult.
* Keep heat sources well away from combustibles, children and pets.
* Ensure that your guests are aware of your home fire escape plan.
* Don't drink and drive. Create a transportation plan using a designated driver, public/private transportation or walk.
* Dress for the weather. Temperatures tonight are expected to be below freezing and lines may be long to get into the venue of your choice.
* When you arrive at the venue check to ensure that all exit ways are clear of obstruction and open to the exterior.
* Identify a safe place (outside of the venue) to meet in case of emergency.
* Locate the nearest exit to you and be prepared to use it. In an emergency, people often return to the place where they entered. The main entrance/exit can quickly become over-crowded.
* In the event of alarm or any indication of an emergency exit the building immediately, proceed to your safe place.
Contact info, for media use only:
Lt. Damon Simmons, Media Pager (503) 940-6003