The cold winter weather is upon us! Dropping temperatures can freeze pipes and damage property.
December 30, 2014
The cold winter weather is upon us! Dropping temperatures can freeze pipes and damage property. The Portland Water Bureau has a list of precautions to help prevent and minimize impacts in your home:
- Make sure indoor pipes are insulated in unheated areas, such as in an attic or garage.
- Turn on your faucets slightly when temperatures reach freezing. Flowing water, even the slightest drip, makes pipes less likely to freeze.
- Cover foundation vents with cardboard, newspaper, or foam blocks.
- Disconnect garden hoses from faucets.
- Wrap faucets and backflow assemblies with insulating material.
- Know the location of your water shut-off valve. Turn it off if a pipe breaks inside your home. Shut-off valves are typically located in the garage, basement, or outside the house near the foundation.
Check out the Water Bureau’s website for more information. For urgent water problems, contact the Water Bureau’s 24/7 Emergency Hotline at (503) 823-4874.