February 28, 2012
Nick was honored to join the 1st Annual Salute to Black History Makers on Monday.
Ten of our local community members were honored for their contribution to our local history.
Honorees this year were:
- Reverend Dr. W.G. Hardy, Highland Christian Church
- Avel Gordly, a former Oregon State Senator
- Mel Brown, the legendary jazz musician
- Larry Miller, President of the Portland Trailblazers
- Bernie Foster, publisher of the Skanner News
- Loretta Smith, Multnomah County Commissioner
- Margaret Carter, former Oregon State Senator
- Phil Walden, local community coach (posthumous)
- Ernest Hartzog, retired educator
- Vesia DeWeese-Loving, community activist
February is National Black History Month. Earlier this month, Mayor Sam Adams read a proclamation calling on Portlanders to:
“…embrace and celebrate the rich histories of this City and dedicate themselves, their families, neighbors and community to the pursuit of the freedom, justice and equality all Americans deserve.”
Congratulations to our community’s history makers!