December 30, 2009
It is an honor to lead the committed Portland Parks & Recreation bureau staff and to work with dedicated community volunteers and friends groups making a difference in Portland.
Thank you for the time and energy you invest in our parks, trails, natural areas and programs. We literally could not do our job without your help. In fact, the estimated value of all volunteer hours this year is over five million dollars!
The work of our volunteers and friends groups helps us maintain sensitive natural areas, offer free events to families, and honor our heritage. Here are a few examples:
- The Portland Classical Chinese Garden is celebrating its 10th anniversary with a new name, the Lan Su Chinese Garden, and then days of free admission to the garden, beginning January 2nd.
- The Friends of Trees recently marked their 20th anniversary and celebrated the planting of over 375,000 trees over the years.
- The Friends of Portland Community Gardens celebrated the opening of two new gardens, at Vestal Elementary School and Peace Church.
- A beautiful new mural, stretching 180 feet and created by more than 750 volunteers, was unveiled at the Multnomah Arts Center.
- The Oregon Rail Heritage Foundation took a giant step toward their goal of creating a permanent home for three publicly-owned locomotives.
- The Marine Board voted to create a "no wake zone" in Ross Island Lagoon and the Friends of Ross Island continued to advocate for the restoration of this unique natural area.
We have much to be proud of in 2009. I look forward to working with you in the coming year. Thanks again, and best wishes for 2010.