Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

To improve security, on Feb. 11th the city will begin disabling TLS 1.0 on our websites. This change should not impact you unless you are using an old browser. More information


Fire & Police Disability & Retirement

Delivering peace of mind, one benefit at a time

phone: 503-823-6823

fax: 503-823-5166

1800 SW First Ave, Room 450, Portland, OR 97201

When a Fire Member Dies



Fire & Police Disability & Retirement
1800 SW 1st Avenue, Suite 450
Portland OR 97201
(503) 823-6823

We will be able to help you with widow/widower benefits or pension payoff. We will need photocopies of: Death Certificate; Will or Letters of Testamentary; and Probate Information (if applicable).

Social Security Administration

There may be benefits from them.

Veterans Administration

If he/she was a veteran, there may be death benefits, plus burial rights at Willamette National Cemetery.

EAP (Employee Assistance Program) Office (503) 823-0091

They can provide assistance in the event of deaths or emergency situations.

Advantis Credit Union
3010 SE Belmont
Portland OR 97214
(503) 234-0951

If member belonged to this credit union, they need to be advised.

Point West Credit Union
718 NE 12th Ave
Portland OR 97232
(503) 248-3076

If member belonged to this credit union, they need to be advised.

Fire Bureau Personnel Office
55 SW Ash Street
Portland OR 97204
(503) 823-3700

Notify the Deputy Chief on Duty (503) 823-3755. They will notify the Personnel Officer who will, if you are in Portland, have a Battalion Chief assist you in making arrangements and, if desired, provide a funeral platoon.

PortlandFirefighters Assocation
4530 SE 67th Avenue
Portland, OR 97206
(503) 774-4302

If the fire fighter is an active fire fighter and a member of the Union's Beneficiary Association, there is a $3,000 death benefit. After retirement, if the fire fighter is a member of the Union's Beneficiary Association, the death benefit is $500.

Portland Retired Firefighters & Widows Association

Any officer of the association would be glad to provide assistance.

Call Cal Eddy (503) 631-3115 or Val Shaul (503)   661-6017.