APRIL 2020: Comcast announced that new Internet Essentials applicants who have any outstanding bill to Comcast are now eligible for the program. Comcast is offering an extension of its current amnesty program through JUNE 30 to all new Internet Essentials customers. Comcast has historically offered amnesty to new Internet Essentials customers with debt older than one year.
MARCH 2020: Comcast announced changes to its Internet Essentials program to support low-income households as the nation copes with the COVID-19 pandemic. The changes provide for:
- Speed increase from 15/2 MBPS to 25/3 MBPS for all new and existing customers, and will become the speed of the service going forward.
- 60 days of free internet service for new Internet Essentials customers who sign up by JUNE 30
- No credit check
- No installation fee
- No equipment rental fee
- No term contract
- 15Mbps/2Mbps download/upload speeds - UPDATE - As of March 2020 speed will be 25Mbps/3Mbps up
- In-home WiFi included
- 40 1-hour sessions of free access to XFINITY WiFi hotspots every 30 days (https://www.internetessentials.com/Getting-Help/WiFihotspots) (WiFi hotspot map and app: http://wifi.xfinity.com/)
- Device – eligible household can purchase a refurbished desktop or laptop computer for $149.99+tax (offer includes Microsoft Office, Norton Security Suite & 90-day warranty) (computer specs: https://www.internetessentials.com/low-cost-computer)
August 2019: Comcast opened eligibility to ALL qualified low-income households. Qualified low-income households includes those that receive public assistance programs such as the National School Lunch Program, Housing Assistance, Medicaid, SNAP, SSI and others.
(if your child’s school has a least 40% of the student population qualifying for NSLP, then every student at the school, regardless of NSLP is eligible.)
Normally applicants must have no outstanding debt to Comcast that is less than a year old. APRIL 2020 Comcast announced it is offering an extension of its current amnesty program through JUNE 30 to all new Internet Essentials customers.
Comcast has historically offered amnesty to new Internet Essentials customers with debt older than one year.
Live in an area where Comcast Internet service is available but have not subscribed to it within the last 90 days.
[Even if you have XFINITY TV and/or XFINITY Voice already but not internet service, if you meet the eligibility criteria above, you are eligible for Internet Essentials.]
Call 1-855-8-INTERNET (1-855-846-8376) to confirm eligibility and apply
NEED PRINTABLE INFO to share with residents? Check out these FLYERS provided by Comcast in multiple languages.