Role of the Bureau Advisory Committee
The Office of Equity and Human Rights’ (OEHR) Bureau Advisory Committee (BAC) will advise, support, and advocate for OEHR. The committee will consist of community members from Portland’s diverse communities representing an array of experiences, perspectives, and expertise.
Recommend policy direction for OEHR and the Commissioner in charge by:
- Advising OEHR regarding policies and strategies to most effectively meet equity goals in the city.
Support the work of OEHR by:
- Establishing and representing the communities’ priorities for OEHR.
- Partnering in and raising awareness of and encouraging support for OEHR.
- Supporting the goals of OEHR and the commissions, programs, and initiatives housed in the bureau for the common purpose of assuring equitable access to and service from all bureaus in the City of Portland.
Contribute to the development and presentation of a budget that is responsive to achieving the equity goals of the City by:
- Reviewing current service levels and determining if they should be continued or changed, including allocation of resources.
- Identifying OEHR objectives and prioritizing budget items that need funding.
- Advocating for adequate resources from city council.
Expectations for BAC Members:
- Attend and participate in regular BAC meetings.
- Attend special events and represent the BAC at community events when available.
- Actively participate in at least one on-going subcommittee of the BAC.
- Demonstrate dedication and commitment to OEHR’s mission.
- Help promote the mission, work, and accomplishments of OEHR to the community.
- Must live, work, worship, or study within the city of Portland or Multnomah County
- Have knowledge of equity and human rights issues
- Have a deep commitment to equity
- Be a team player and have the ability to work well with other people.
- Access to e-mail is highly recommended