Date: June 5, 2013 Time: 4:00 p.m. – 6:30 p.m. Location: 421 SW 6th Avenue, Suite 500 Portland, OR
Commission Attendees: Kyle Busse, Allan Lazo, Deyalo Bennette, Aimee Samara, Moloy Good, Christine Rontal, John Verssue, Donna Maxey
Staff Attendee: Jeff Selby
Approval of Agenda and Minutes / Welcome and Gathering
- Chair Kyle Busse called the meeting to order at 4:11.
- ***MOTION: MOLOY GOOD / SECOND: JOHN VERSSUE / MOTION PASSED***
- Approve Proposed Agenda as amended by Kyle Busse
- ***MOTION: JOHN VERSSUE / SECOND: MOLOY GOOD / MOTION PASSED***
- Approve meeting minutes from April 3, 2013
- Attendees and commissioners introduced themselves.
Office of Equity and Human Rights (OEHR) Update – Dante J. James, Bureau Director
- Dante announced that OEHR remains in the Mayor’s Office portfolio. Josh Alpert is the Mayor’s liaison to OEHR.
- The new website is online and the Facebook page is updated frequently, so please visit them both.
Human Rights Roundtable – Community Discovery Committee (CDC)
- Registration is extended to 6/17/13. At this point we have 18 individuals representing 12 groups.
- The CDC introduced the proposed agenda, ground rules, and guidelines.
- Kyle will disseminate key message points to the HRC prior to the event.
- Sarah Milliron (OEHR intern) will volunteer to help.
- Deyalo Bennette introduced federal prisoners’ rights issues
- Kyle introduced a draft of the HR Impact Analysis Tool.
- Aimee Samara recommended asking María Lisa Johnson to explain the tool to the HRC.
- Kyle recommended using the tool on Deyalo’s prisoners’ rights issue.
Executive Committee Nominations
- Vice Chair
- Kyle said there is a concern that the Vice Chair nomination process needs to be more transparent and inclusive.
- After discussion, the quorum agreed upon a new process for nominating Vice Chairs:
- One week prior to the Nomination Meeting, the Chair will announce that the Vice Chair position is open. Nominations will be sent to the Chair and the nominating period will be open until voting begins at the Voting Meeting. Commissioners will receive an email from the Chair within 48 hours of the Nomination meeting, informing them of any nominees and nominees who have declined.
- ***MOTION: MOLOY GOOD / SECOND: KYLE BUSSEE / MOTION PASSED***
- Create a nominating process. One week prior to the Nomination Meeting, the Chair will announce that the Vice Chair position is open. Nominations will be sent to the Chair and the nominating period will be open until voting begins at the Voting Meeting. Commissioners will receive an email from the Chair within 48 hours of the Nomination meeting, informing them of any nominees and nominees who have declined.
- Kyle asked for Vice Chair nominations:
- Deyalo nominated Aimee Samara, Moloy Good, and Donita Fry.
- Allan Lazo nominated Aimee Samara, Deyalo Bennette, and Mayra Arreola.
- Aimee and Moloy rejected the nomination. Deyalo accepted the nomination.
Focusing on Our Strategic Plan
- Kyle said the Executive Committee thought it would be a good idea to revisit the Strategic Plan to ensure the HRC stays on track.
- Allan introduced a Work Plan which will help ensure the HRC keeps track of its progress through the Strategic Plan lens.
- Committee Chairs will email Allan all input for the Work Plan.
- Jeff Selby urged the commission to keep the work process transparent and to post the work plan online. Donna Maxey agreed.
- Allan will email the document to Committee Chairs.
Committee and Task Force Updates
- CPRC – Jeff and Allan
- The CPRC will use the Kelly Building on East Burnside St. as a “home base” for all but four quarterly meetings in specific community areas.
- CPRC has a new brochure.
- CPRC has a new attendance protocol and HRC will vote on it in July.
- Aimee asked about the nomination process for CPRC – specifically how Sam Sachs was nominated?
- Housing Rights Task Force (HRTF) – Moloy Good
- There is a Connecting Communities meeting next week. They will work on inclusionary zoning bill strategy.
- The Section 8 Law is stalled.
- Human Trafficking Task Force (HTTF) – Kyle Busse
- A physical map of communities who are at risk of human trafficking has been started.
- HRC-Council Liaisons
- Aimee Samara, Ashley Horne, John Verssue, and Kyle Busse will meet and share their process.
- Kyle mentioned that the HRC Bylaws are out of date. An ad hoc committee will be created to address procedure/operations. Kyle is asking for any interested commissioners to contact him.
- Linda McKim-Bell said she was impressed with the amount of work that the HRC does.
- Commissioner Donna Maxey announced her resignation effective immediately.
Food was provided by Aybla Grlil / Portland Pedal Power.