July 8, 2015
PORTLAND – The City of Portland’s Office of Equity and Human Rights presented its City-wide Racial Equity Goals and Strategies to City Council and Commissioners unanimously voted to adopt the goals and strategies as binding City policy.
Bureau Director, Dante James, said, "We can’t just let this be a symbol…we have to ensure that we mean what we say. The community needs to know we mean what we say and feel that something is happening differently because of what we say."
Community members and City employees testified in support of the goals and strategies:
- Nkenge Harmon Johnson, CEO of Portland Urban League
- Sharon Gary-Smith, Executive Director of MRG Foundation
- Chabre Vickers, Chair of Portland Human Rights Commission
- Art Hendricks, Equity Manager for Portland Parks and Recreation
- Eric Nomura, Independent Police Review / Citywide Equity Committee Steering Committee Member
The Racial Equity Goals and Strategies can be found here: http://www.portlandoregon.gov/oehr/article/535767
A video that explains the background and need for the Racial Equity Goals and Strategies is here:https://youtu.be/iTtkhCFCxRw