The Portland Building Reconstruction Project
Construction Update: June, 2018
The Portland Building reconstruction will be complete a year ahead of the original schedule. Bureaus will begin moving in November 2019 with completion of moves in the spring of 2020. The primary objective of the project is to create a functional, accessible, sustainable, and seismically upgraded public building.
In the past two months, much of the work on the project has been on the inside of the building, including:
- Interior demolition is nearly complete with crews expected to finish by mid-July.
- Seismic upgrades are progressing well; slab cuts to prepare for the new shear walls are complete on levels 2 through 4, and shear walls have been installed in the basement and first floor.
On the building's exterior, demolition is progressing, with the last of the capitals - as well as the existing curtain wall from the east and west elevations - removed. Demolition of the loggia is in progress and is expected to be completed soon. A mock-up of the new unitized curtain wall recently underwent rigorous performance testing, including water and air penetration and thermal and seismic performance, and easily passed all tests.
- Tile removal will continue on the building’s exterior, including keystone tile on the east and west facades, and ribbon detail on the south facade.
- Seismic upgrade work will continue, including shotcrete and rebar installation on remaining floors.
- Demolition will continue on the loggia, the existing curtain wall, and the building's interior.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- Sidewalk Closures: Please expect sidewalk closures along the SW 4th Avenue and SW Madison Street sides of the building due to pedestrian safety concerns. A pedestrian tunnel has been installed on SW Main Street. The sidewalk along SW 5th Avenue will remain open and will be covered for pedestrian safety. Please follow pedestrian detour signs for your own safety.
- Noise: Neighbors may notice occasional noise from construction during normal business hours.
- Parking: Street parking on the Portland Building sides of the block will not be available.
- Traffic Flow: Lanes will mostly remain open, with a few temporary closures on SW 4th Avenue only. Construction may cause minor delays.
- Trimet: Stops and routes will not be impacted, with the exception of a few days. Please check TriMet's website for updates.
We appreciate your cooperation during this project. Please let us know if you have questions or concerns.