The Portland Building Reconstruction Project
Construction Update: October 2018
The Portland Building reconstruction project continues to make progress on schedule this fall. The primary objective of the project is to create a functional, accessible, sustainable, and seismically upgraded public building.RECENT PROGRESS
In the past several weeks, work on exterior and interior upgrades has progressed, including:
- The first of the exterior panels, called the curtain wall, arrived this week.
- Seismic upgrades, with new shear walls installed on the 5th through 7th floors and penthouse.
- Additional structural columns along the exterior walls are being cast on the 3rd through 12th floors.
- Crews are installing mechanical, electrical and plumbing systems in the core from the basement through the 5th floors.
- Masonry work and framing have begun in the basement.
- Installation of steel platforms on the roof level to support the new air handler units and chillers.
- On the north and west elevations, crews have finished installing anchors for the new unitized curtain wall.
- Continued work on seismic upgrades, with shear walls through the building core.
- Installation of the new unitized curtain wall will begin in November.
- Build out of tenant improvements starting on the 4th floor.
- Build out of restrooms and support spaces in the building core.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- Sidewalk Closures: Please continue to expect sidewalk closures along the SW 4th Avenue and SW Madison Street sides of the building due to pedestrian safety concerns. The pedestrian tunnel installed on SW Main Street and the covered sidewalk along SW 5th Avenue will also remain in place for pedestrian safety. Please follow pedestrian detour signs for your own safety.
- Noise: Neighbors may notice occasional noise from construction during normal business hours.
- Parking: Street parking on the Portland Building sides of the block will not be available.
- Traffic Flow: Lanes will mostly remain open, with a few temporary closures on SW 4th Avenue only. Construction may cause minor delays.
- Trimet: Stops and routes will not be impacted, with the exception of a few days. Please check TriMet’s website for updates.
We appreciate your cooperation during this project. Please let us know if you have questions or concerns.