Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Neighborhood Involvement

Building inclusive, safe and livable neighborhoods and communities.

ONI Main: 503-823-4519

City/County Info: 503-823-4000

TDD: 503-823-6868

1221 SW 4th Ave, Suite 110, Portland, OR 97204

Noise Complaints

View larger map


To find out information about noise complaints, click on a dot on the map.


Please note that the Noise Control Office is only open during regular business hours from 8:00 am to 5:00 pm. If you are reporting noise currently in progress after 10:00 pm, please contact the Police non-emergency at 503-823-3333. 



In the busy months from May to October, and with the limited number of staff in the City of Portland’s Noise Control Office, we want to make sure to provide realistic response expectations to our community members for noise concerns. This allows us to effectively process the most critical cases.

The following are types of cases that our Noise Inspector will be able to respond to as the main focus

  •  Noise that disturbs at least three or more separate households
  •  Noise disturbances past 10 PM and earlier than 7 AM 
  • Construction work specifically after 10 PM and Before 7 AM  
  • Mechanical Equipment, (such as HVAC, vent fans, cooling equipment and similar machinery) which is easily documented by staff to exceed the existing ambient sound levels by more than 10 decibels (dBA FAST) and is in violation of the applicable Land Use Zones.


 The following types of  cases are less urgent and we are only able to apply limited field resources to try to resolve these cases.

  • Construction noise violations on Sundays and evenings up to 10 PM; with properly completed, signed, and submitted citizen complaint logs
  • Noise complaints that receive a second follow up online complaint or phone call for service with effort from a complainant to document an ongoing and consistent noise violation
  • Industrial/Commercial code violations impacting residential areas
  • Events operating without a Noise Variance
  • Persistent noise issues that have been recorded with complaint logs and citizen noise readings with a signed out noise meter between 7 AM and 10 PM
  • Leaf Blowers operating outside the code established hours of operation based on zoning related time limitations
  • Band rehearsal cases at a residential location with regular  practice time

The last group of cases are considered low priority and no field work toward enforcement/compliance action will be taken at this time.  A basic warning letter will be sent in some  cases.

  •   Sounds coming from one apartment or condo and carrying into a neighboring apartment or condo in the same building.  These cases are legally landlord/tenant issues or for discussion at a condo homeowners association.  If it is a case of a neighbor  "Disturbing the Peace", a citizen can call non -emergency for response at 503-823-3333
  • Intermittent noise sources  that cannot be documented  with a properly completed citizen complaint  log to have any regularity
  • Sounds where the complainant can't  tell us where the source is coming from with any specificity
  • Street  musician cases
  • Residential stereos up to 10 PM
  • Daytime Construction concerns from 7 am to 6 pm, unless a person describes the operation of a "vactor" style vacuum truck
  • Leaf blowers, if operated within the allowed hours
  • Sporadic noise issues that are intermittent (such as/ but not limited to motor vehicles on roadway with no exhaust, car stereos, ice cream trucks , and other noise in the right-of-way, etc)
  • Ongoing car related  issues at residence (car exhaust, car stereo, car alarm, etc)
  • Doggy Daycare and other  similar animal related  noise issues


Types of Noise Not Covered by the Code

The Noise Office does not have the authority to address the following types of noise:

Types of Noise Covered by the Code

The noise code addresses many aspects of noise, including:

  • amplified sound
  • music
  • construction
  • events and parades
  • animal noises from legal animal facilities

For questions, information, or concerns, please call the ONI Noise Control Hotline at (503) 823-7350, email or file using the online noise complaint form.


City Code - Title 18

Intent of code is to control the level of noise in a manner that promotes the use, value, and enjoyment of property, conduct of business, sleep and repose and reduces unnecessary and excessive sound in the environment.

Construction Noise Regulations

This sheet explains City of Portland regulations on construction noise. (Code section 18.10.060)

Noise Complaint Form

File a noise complaint using this online liquor/noise complaint form to document livablity issues arising from undue noise.