Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Neighborhood Involvement

Building inclusive, safe and livable neighborhoods and communities.

ONI Main: 503-823-4519

City/County Info: 503-823-4000

TDD: 503-823-6868

1221 SW 4th Ave, Suite 110, Portland, OR 97204

To File a DOJ Complaint or Not


Picture of disability coordinator in front of City Hall

So I thought I would share a personal experience with you. 

In my job I refer people all the time to make ADA complaints to the DOJ and finally went through the process myself...well started it at least!

In Nov 2011 i filled a complaint about a hotel in another state.  They had assured me a reservation with a roll in shower and then upon arrive did not have one...claiming it is a first come first serve process and not a accommodation. 

This is not the first time this has happened to me so I was very clear with the folks on the reservation line that I needed the shower and they told me they called the hotel directly and checked and all was well and good.

Not only was the room not available the switching of rooms that happened on the following day took the majority of the day and by the time we left the hotel our destination location was closed.

I finally heard back from the DOJ in September and they  offered me to go to mediation. I agreed and now after three month the mediation is scheduled for this Friday.  I will keep you posted!


Please review our Code of Conduct rules before posting a comment to this site.
Report Abuse (Please include the specific topic and comment for the fastest response/resolution.)

Post a Comment
E-mail (visible to admins only)
 Remember Info Yes   No
Spam Prevention In the Pacific Northwest, what state is Portland in?