Eastmoreland-Woodstock Sewer Repair Project Construction Update: April 24, 2014
Construction continues on a project in your neighborhood to repair or replace about 40,000 feet of severely deteriorated sewer pipes that are more than 60 years old. The work will make the sewer system work more effectively and protect water quality, public health and the environment.
Construction should be completed by summer 2015. The project area is bordered by SE Woodstock Boulevard on the north, SE 28th Avenue on the west, SE 45th Avenue on the east and SE Crystal Springs Boulevard on the south.
A project map is available at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/eastmorelandwoodstock.
DEVELOPMENTS OF NOTE
Crews are continuing to do final paving on SE Rex Street next week.
Below is the estimated construction schedule for the next couple of weeks. As the contractor completes construction on each street, a temporary asphalt patch is applied. They will return at a later date to apply permanent paving.
Week of April 28
- SE Knapp Street (Cesar E Chavez Blvd to 41st) – Continue open trench construction (except Friday).
- SE Nehalem Street (East of SE 44th to 45th) – Continue pipe burst, connect or install manholes, and install new branches to connect houses to main public sewer pipe.
- SE Nehalem Street (East of Cesar E Chavez Blvd to west of 42nd) – Prepare to pipe burst.
Week of May 5
- SE Knapp Street (Cesar E Chavez Blvd to 42nd) – Continue open trench construction (except Friday).
- SE Nehalem Street (East of Cesar E Chavez Blvd to west of 42nd) – Pipe burst, connect or install manholes, and install new branches to connect houses to main public sewer pipe.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- Typical work hours are 7:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. Monday through Friday, but the contractor may schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- Construction will create noise, vibration and dust and will disrupt normal neighborhood activity.
- Traffic control signs will be set up. The contractor will maintain local access, but you should expect delays.
- On-street parking in or near the work area will be prohibited during construction hours. Please plan to move your vehicle each day by 7:00 a.m.
- Equipment and materials may be stored on nearby streets overnight.
- There may be periods of inactivity between construction phases.
- A city inspector will be on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with construction concerns. Inspectors typically wear a safety vest and hard hat.
- Please stay clear of all construction activities. Please keep your children from harm and instruct them to stay clear of all construction activities. We also appreciate your keeping pets and vehicles out of the construction areas.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
Learn more about this project at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/eastmorelandwoodstock. To receive project updates by email, send an email to Debbie Caselton at Debbie.Caselton@portlandoregon.gov with “Eastmoreland” in the subject line.
Thank you for your cooperation during this project. Please let us know if you have concerns such as business operations, disability issues or medical or business deliveries. As always, we’ll strive to provide quick response to your concerns, minimal disruption of your residence or commercial business, and open and honest communication with you throughout the project.
City of Portland Environmental Services
1120 SW 5th Ave, Room 1000, Portland, Oregon 97204
Working for clean rivers
Over one-third of Portland’s 2,500 miles of sewer pipes are more than 80 years old. Projects to replace or repair aging sewers are important for protecting water quality, public health and the environment. Learn more at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes.