NW Flanders Street and 11th Avenue Sewer Repair Update: May 24, 2017
Construction is underway on an Environmental Services project to repair about 250 feet of sewer pipe in NW Flanders Street between NW 12th and NW 11th avenues. The sewer was constructed in 1916 and shows signs of wear and tear, cracks, tree root intrusion, and structural deformation due to stresses on the pipe. Construction began in April 2017, and is anticipated to be completed by August 2017. This project will help protect public health, property, and our environment.
A project map and additional information is available on the web page at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/nwflanders.
DEVELOPMENTS OF NOTE
- After several weeks of inactivity, our contractor is now scheduled to begin excavating NW Flanders the week of June 12.
- Neighbors will receive a door notice a few days in advance of the work.
WHAT WE’VE HEARD FROM YOU
Although crews started some construction work, neighbors asked why there is inactivity. The City’s contractor has consolidated work to complete several construction steps simultaneously, in an effort to reduce impacts to neighbors, businesses, and pedestrians. Traffic control restrictions will only be used when necessary. Although the contractor has until August to complete the work, as a result of the consolidation, construction could be complete as early as July.
WHAT TO EXPECT DURING CONSTRUCTION
- Construction hours will be 7 a.m. to 6 p.m. Monday through Friday. The contractor may also schedule work during the same hours on Saturdays.
- One day/night of extended hours between 6 p.m. and 7 a.m. may be required to harden the pipe liner.
- Construction creates noise, vibration and dust and disrupts normal neighborhood activity.
- The contractor will maintain local access, but construction impacts the normal use of driveways or business entrances.
- You should expect traffic delays in and near the work area. Please observe traffic control signs and follow the directions of flaggers.
- Portland Streetcar operations on NW 11th Ave will not be disrupted.
- The project will keep all lanes on NW 11th Ave open at all times.
- Traffic on NW 12th Ave may see lane restrictions during work hours, but the street will remain open.
- On‐street parking will be restricted in and near the work zones to create a safe work environment and to stage equipment and materials.
- Some equipment and materials may be stored on your street or nearby streets overnight.
- The city’s contractor will use open trench excavation and a trenchless construction method called Cured-In-Place-Pipe Lining. For more information on and photos of construction methods, visit www.portlandoregon.gov/bes/methods.
- There may be periods of inactivity between construction phases due to a variety of factors including weather, subcontractor schedules and availability of materials.
- A city inspector will be on-site during work hours and may be able to assist you with an immediate need during construction.
- Sewer, water and other utilities will remain in service during construction.
FOR MORE INFORMATION
With questions or comments, please contact Ashley Tjaden at Ashley.Tjaden@portlandoregon.gov or 503-823-5281. To sign up for periodic email updates, visit the project webpage and click the SIGN UP! button.
Thank you for your cooperation during this important sewer repair project.
City of Portland Environmental Services
1120 SW 5th Ave, Room 1000, Portland, Oregon 97204
Working for clean rivers
The Bureau of Environmental Services works with Portland residents and businesses to protect water quality, public health, and the environment through wastewater collection and treatment, sewer construction and maintenance, stormwater management, and stream and watershed restoration. Learn more at www.portlandoregon.gov/bes.
The City of Portland complies with all non-discrimination laws including Title VI (Civil Rights) and Title II (ADA). To request a translation, accommodation or additional information, please call 503-823-7740, or use City TTY 503-823-6868, or Oregon Relay Service: 711