Photo of sky with hot sun overhead.
Multnomah County adds three cooling centers, extends hours
As the Pacific Northwest region remains under an excessive heat watch, Multnomah County has added three cooling centers – for a total of six -- to its list of places people at risk for heat related illnesses can go to escape the warm weather.
The new locations, which include The Portland Building, are in west Multnomah County. Cooling center hours also have been extended by one hour to close at 9 p.m.
Multnomah County Cooling Centers
- Multnomah County Walnut Park Building, 5325 N.E. Martin Luther King Jr. Blvd., Portland (Hours: Weekdays, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Weekends, 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Multnomah County East Building, 600 N.E. 8th St., Gresham (Hours: Weekdays, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Weekends, 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Hollywood Senior Center, 1820 N.E. 40th Ave., Portland (Hours: Weekdays, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Weekends, 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.; *CLOSED Saturday)
- Multnomah County Mead Building, 421 SW 5th Ave., Portland (Hours: Thursday and Friday, 5 p.m. to 9 p.m., Weekends, 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Elm Court Center, 1032 SW Main St., Portland (Hours: Thursday through Sunday, 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.)
- Portland Building (in partnership with the City of Portland), 1120 SW 5th Ave, Portland (Hours: Thursday, 2 p.m. to 9 p.m.)
Additionally, several other organizations and municipalities are operating cooling centers, including:
American Legion Post 134, 2104 N.E. Alberta St., Portland (Hours: Tuesday through Thursday, noon to 11 p.m.; Friday, noon. to 11 p.m.)
Catholic Charities, 2740 S.E. Powell Boulevard, Portland (Hours: Tuesday through Friday, 8:30 a.m. to 4:30 p.m.)
Fairview City Hall, 1300 NE Village St., Fairview. Restrictions: Open to seniors, people with disabilities and other health conditions (Hours: Tuesday through Friday, 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.)
Friendly House, 1737 NW 26th Ave., (Hours: Friday, 7 a.m. to 9 p.m.; Saturday, 8 a.m. to 4 p.m.)
City of Corbett, 35800 Historic Columbia River Hwy, Corbett (Hours: Wednesday through Friday, 2 p.m. to 8 p.m.)
City of Troutdale, 234 SW Kendall Court, Troutdale (Hours: Wednesday and Thursday, 4 p.m. to 9 p.m.)
Please visit this interactive map for the locations of cooling centers as well as cool spaces such as libraries and community centers. Visit 211info.org/emergency or call 211 for additional information. People in need of transportation also can call 211 to request a free ride to a cooling center location.