1120 SW Fifth Avenue, Portland, OR 97204
Beginning in 2001, Grant High School (GHS) parents and supporters began seeking ways to enable GHS football games to be played on a "home" field, and to upgrade the quality of the athletic facilities used for youth athletics at the park and school. (GHS has long had to rent PGE Park stadium for its many of its home varsity football games.) In 2005, the Friends of Grant Athletics (FOGA), with concurrence from Portland Public Schools (PPS) and Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R), began a formal public involvement process that included a citizen advisory committee (CAC), surveys, community meetings, and open house presentations.
In 2006, PPS and PP&R adjusted the project scope in response to community concerns, and in 2007, PPS and PP&R eliminated project elements that would substantially impact the neighborhood. Permanent bleachers, stadium-type lighting, and the electronic scoreboard were eliminated from the design. In 2008, PP&R and PPS jointly hosted a community open house to share the new design concept based on community input.
In 2010 PPS, with PP&R and FOGA, selected Dull Olson Weekes Architects (DOWA) to develop the design drawings for the site; the design process was completed in May 2011. The new track and turf field was dedicated on September 20, 2013.