1120 SW Fifth Avenue, Portland, OR 97204
Terrace rehabilitation. The work included the removal of all the clay tiles, replacement of the waterproofing membrane underneath, installation of through wall flashing, reinstallation of the tiles, and restoration of the balustrade including seismic attachments.
Portland Parks & Recreation, Pittock Mansion Society
Susan Meamber, 503-823-9709
Talisman Construction Services, Spokane, WA
Brien Golis, 509-487-1292
The Pittock Mansion is a French Renaissance-style château in the West Hills of Portland, originally built as a private home for The Oregonian newspaper publisher Henry Pittock and his wife, Georgiana. It is a 23-room estate built of Tenino Sandstone situated on 46 acres which provide panoramic views of downtown Portland and the Cascade Range. The property was acquired in 1962 by the City of Portland Bureau of Parks and Recreation, and was placed on the National Register of Historic Places in 1974. The Mansion is managed though a partnership with the Pittock Mansion Society and Portland Parks & Recreation. It is open for tours, providing educational exhibits depicting life in the early 20th century.
In 2006 the Comprehensive Seismic and Structural Analysis report for the Pittock Mansion was commissioned. This document examined previous studies, and provided recommendations for repairs. Included in this study was the exterior surface spalling of the sandstone facade due to the overflow of water onto the exterior of building and the terrace/balustrade repairs. In 2008, construction documents were produced for some of the repairs, including external copper downspouts, and structural upgrades at the west entrance were performed.