Portland's parks, public places, natural areas, and recreational opportunities give life and beauty to our city. These essential assets connect people to place, self, and others. Portland's residents treasure and care for this legacy, building on the past to provide for future generations.
The mission of Portland Parks & Recreation is to help Portlanders play - providing the safe places, facilities, and programs which promote physical, mental, and social activity. We get people, especially kids, outside, active, and connected to the community. As we do this, there will be an increase in the wellness of our residents and the livability of our city. We accomplish this through:
- Establishing, safeguarding and restoring the parks, natural areas, public places, and urban forest of the city, ensuring that these are accessible to all;
- Developing and maintaining excellent facilities and places for public recreation and community building;
- Providing dynamic recreation programs and services that promote health and well-being for all;
- Partnering with the community we serve.
- Quality, responsive service to our diverse customers and partners.
- Community participation in program and project planning.
- Innovation, creativity, and excellence in all we do.
- Openness, honesty, and respect in all relationships.
- A diverse and culturally competent workforce.
- Transparent, ethical, and accountable decision making.
We recognize, understand, and encourage celebration of the differences that surround us. Diversity and equity are vital to Portland Parks & Recreation's ideals and values.
2016 Performance Report