- June 2017
- April 2017
- March 2017
- November 2016
- September 2016
- August 2016
- June 2016
- March 2016
- January 2016
FIELD RESURFACING PROJECT BACKGROUND
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) and Under Armour announced plans in early July 2015 to move forward with a significant partnership to enhance recreational opportunities for Portlanders.
The athletic apparel and footwear leader and PP&R will team up to enhance athletic facilities within the PP&R system. Duniway Park has been identified as a location for field improvements. Under Armour is leasing the adjacent building that previously housed the YMCA. Under Armour in partnership with the building owner will be making improvements to the building and building property. As part of the Under Armour WIN Global philanthropic platform, UA will contribute to the park system in Portland. WIN Global is dedicated to the provision of resources so that communities can provide access to sport, with a particular focus on young people. With its significant use for sports of all types, Duniway Park is a natural fit.
Portland Parks & Recreation, Under Armour and the community will work together to ensure that the improvements to the park provide benefit to all Portlanders and park users.
- July 2015 - Public announcement of partnership agreement between Under Armour and PP&R
- August 2015 - PP&R to begin public outreach with survey to parks users and adjacent neighbor surveys. Under Armour submits pre-application to the Bureau of Development Services - this application process allows UA to understand the technical requirements of park improvements that will help inform the design.
- September 2015 - Presentations to Homestead, South Portland, Portland Downtown Neighborhood Associations. Public Meeting on September 24, National College of Naturopathic Medicine - present proposal and gather public input
- October 2015 - Presentation at Terwilliger Plaza
- November 2015 - Public meeting # 2 - present design refinements based on public input
- December 2015 - Submit permit applications
- Summer 2016 - Begin Construction - contingent on public support
Use of Artificial Turf Fields
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) is committed to providing safe and accessible recreational opportunities for all Portlanders. To that end, we are pursuing the installation of an artificial turf (crumb rubber) field for this project, while paying close attention to the national conversation surrounding artificial turf. The safety of our fields, along with every facility we own and manage, is paramount.
PP&R has a strong interest in conclusive research on crumb rubber infill; though right now such research is not decisive. We are monitoring as more research is done, always looking for improved technologies, and we will look for opportunities to collect data ourselves. Please note that the potential health concerns surrounding synthetic fields must also be balanced with both the dangers of uneven/waterlogged/baked-dry grass fields causing falls, broken bones and/or sprains, and also with the fact that in our climate, natural fields are unsuitable for use many months of the year.
We will continue to consult with other park associations nationwide to understand any other data available, and their decisions on crumb rubber.
For more information, contact Stefanus Gunawan at
firstname.lastname@example.org or call 503-823-5493.