Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

Parks & Recreation

Healthy Parks, Healthy Portland

Phone: 503-823-PLAY (7529)

Fax: 503-823-6007

1120 SW Fifth Ave., Suite 1302, Portland, OR 97204

Colonel Summers Park


Portland Parks & Recreation, the Buckman Community Association, and the Colonel Summers Task Force have been working on tactics and strategies for increasing positive uses for Colonel Summers Park for several years. Park additions and improvements include many varieties of projects including capital improvements, maintenance projects, enforcement activities and more. Learn more by reading the Colonel Summers Park Improvements Dashboard.

Two improvement projects are currently being planned for Colonel Summers Park:

  • installation of a Portland Loo (restroom) and splash pad
  • an enclosure for the picnic pavilion

Loo and Splash Pad

A Portland Loo and splash pad will be installed in Colonel Summers Park. Funding for the Loo is available thanks to the Parks Replacement Bond, and System Development Charges (SDCs) are funding the splash pad. The splash pad will replace the decommissioned wading pool. The exact location of each amenity will be determined through the design process with public input.

Spring 2016 - Fall 2016:  Design Development and Public Involvement

Fall 2016 - Winter 2016/17:  Construction Documents, Permitting, and Bidding

Spring 2017 - Summer 2017:  Construction

Summer 2017:  Opening of Loo and Splash Pad

Pavilion Improvement

PP&R has secured funding and hired an architect to design the enclosure for the picnic pavilion. A preferred option was chosen after the December 2015 community meeting and shared at the February 2016 Buckman Community Association meeting.  

Update January 2017: 
The gate is currently being fabricated off-site, and installation is planned to start around mid-January. 

  • Fall 2015 - Winter 2015/16:  Design Development and Public Involvement - view preferred option
  • Spring 2016 - Summer 2016:  Construction Documents, Permitting, and Bidding
  • Fall 2016 - Winter 2016/17:  Gate Fabrication and Installation / Construction

Project Manager
Marlo Medellin,, (503) 823-5581

Public Involvement Coordinator
Maija Spencer,, (503) 823-5593

Park History

Originally called Belmont Park, this site was renamed in 1938 in honor of Colonel Owen Summers, a former member of the Oregon Legislature. Summers was the commanding officer of the Second Oregon Volunteers Regiment in the Spanish-American War. He also introduced the bill which later created the Oregon National Guard. 

In the southwest corner of this park there is a huge rock, which came from Kelly Butte. This rock holds a bas relief image of Colonel Summers on a bronze plaque.