Come celebrate with us at Argay's Tennis Play Day
Tuesday, October 17 | 2:30pm - 5:30pm
- 2:30 - 5:30pm: Free tennis fun for ages, including lessons, group play, and tennis for kids
- 4:00 - 4:30pm: Ribbon-cutting with Commissioner Amanda Fritz and the Argay Neighborhood Association at 4pm, free cake for all following.
Based on community input from Argay neighbors, PP&R has preserved four of the holly trees - two green and two variegated - to preserve the history of the site and neighborhood.
- Three shade trees (Betula pendula - European white birch) identified as dying by the City's Arborist with Urban Forestry were removed.
- All but four of the holly trees were removed.
- 14 new trees will be planted as replacements: six Green Vase Zelkova, six Douglas Fir, and two Shumard Red Oak
- The trees were removed after August 1 to avoid bird nesting season.
Argay Park's tennis courts have been unusable for many years due to their deteriorated condition. Thanks to the passage of the Parks Replacement Bond, funds are available to restore all four existing tennis courts. View the design concepts shared at the April 12, 2016 Argay Neighborhood Association meeting.
Planned improvements include:
- Correct ADA accessibility deficiencies in pathway from NE 141st Avenue to the courts.
- Rebuild the playing surface to eliminate cracking and differential settlement.
- Remove some of the invasive English holly trees on west side of the courts. Holly trees are on the City's nuisance tree list and block sight lines from the street creating security concerns. Read more about English holly here.
- Replace all fencing, nets, and the stanchions.
- Replace drinking fountain.
- Replace wood planking on the existing benches.
- Stormwater facility to address stormwater run-off from courts.
- Upgrade lighting.
To receive project updates, sign up here.
- Winter 2016 - Summer 2016 - Design Development
- Fall 2016 - Spring 2017 - Permitting and Bidding
- Summer 2017 - Fall 2017 - Construction
Jill Hutchinson, firstname.lastname@example.org, (503) 823-5583
Public Involvement Coordinator
Maija Spencer, email@example.com, (503) 823-5593