Portland’s parks, natural areas and trails are extensively used for all types of recreation, and off-leash dogs and dog waste have significant impacts on the health, safety, and enjoyability of park lands.
Obeying leash laws:
- Ensures the dog handler has control in every situation - there are many distractions in a park, from squirrels to runners to bicyclists to kids
- Keeps dogs safe from hazards that may injure or even kill them
- Protects the park environment and wildlife
- Respects other park visitors (and their leashed dogs) who may not want to meet your dog
- Keeps dogs close to their handlers, which makes it easier to spot and pick up poop