How much are citations?
First citation for violating leash/scoop regulations is $50; all subsequent citations are $150.
I received a warning for having my dog off leash, will I receive a citation?
You will be issued a citation if a Park Ranger contacts you again for a leash/scoop law violation. Warnings are intended to educate dog owners on laws, and the expectation is that after a Park Ranger provides information about the rules, dog owners will leash up and scoop poop. Please comply with leash/scoop laws to avoid citations.
How are parks designated for intensive outreach and enforcement?
The goal of education and enforcement is to improve compliance with leash/scoop laws. In parks where lack of compliance with leash/scoop law is an ongoing issue, PP&R does intensive outreach and enforcement to effect change in this behavior. In designating parks for intensive efforts, PP&R considers:
- Impacts on park land and health/safety issues created by leash/scoop non-compliance
- Community concerns and reports
- Data collected during Park Ranger patrols
- History of compliance rates and previous education and enforcement efforts
How do I pay my citation?
Fines must be paid within 30 days of issuance. You can pay the fine in a number of ways:
- Mailing a payment in the form of a personal check or money order to the PP&R Customer Service Center at 1120 SW Fifth Ave, Portland OR 97204.
- Visiting the Customer Service Center at 111 SW Columbia Street, Suite 660, Portland, Oregon 97201, in person. Bring a copy of your citation or know your citation number, and pay with personal check, money order, cash or major credit card.
- Calling the Customer Service Center at 503-823-2525 and paying with major credit card. Please know your citation number.
How do I appeal a citation?
If a person wishes to appeal PP&R dog off leash citation:
- Appeals must be filed in writing within 10 days from the time of the citation.
- Appeals must be filed directly with the Code Hearings Officer’s office - 1900 SW 4th Avenue, Room 3100, Portland, Oregon 97201.
- A filing fee ($10.00) or a completed fee appeal waiver form must be submitted during filing.
- Please include a copy of your citation, any documents, pictures or papers that you believe will be important to the hearing officer in making a determination.
What happens if I'm financially unable to pay my fine?
If you are unable to pay your citation due to financial hardship, contact Portland Parks & Recreation by phone at 503-823-DOGS (3647) or email email@example.com to request financial hardship consideration.