How much are citations?
First citation for violating leash/scoop regulations is $50; all subsequent citations are $150.
I received a warning for having my dog off leash, will I receive a citation?
You will be issued a citation if a Park Ranger contacts you again for a leash/scoop law violation. Warnings are intended to educate dog owners on laws, and the expectation is that after a Park Ranger provides information about the rules, dog owners will leash up and scoop poop. Please comply with leash/scoop laws to avoid citations.
How are parks designated for intensive outreach and enforcement?
The goal of education and enforcement is to improve compliance with leash/scoop laws. In parks where lack of compliance with leash/scoop law is an ongoing issue, PP&R does intensive outreach and enforcement to effect change in this behavior. In designating parks for intensive efforts, PP&R considers:
- Impacts on park land and health/safety issues created by leash/scoop non-compliance
- Community concerns and reports
- Data collected during Park Ranger patrols
- History of compliance rates and previous education and enforcement efforts
How do I pay my citation?
Fines must be paid within 30 days of issuance. You can pay the fine in a number of ways:
- Mailing a payment in the form of a personal check or money order to the PP&R Customer Service Center at 1120 SW Fifth Ave, Portland OR 97204.
- Visiting the Customer Service Center, on the first floor of the Portland Building at 1120 SW Fifth Ave, in person. Bring a copy of your citation or know your citation number, and pay with personal check, money order, cash or major credit card.
- Calling the Customer Service Center at 503-823-2525 and paying with major credit card. Please know your citation number.
How do I appeal a citation?
The appeal process is outlined here. After your appeal is received, the Park Security Manager will review your appeal. If the citation is upheld, you then have the option of appealing to the City's Code Hearings Office. If the Code Hearings Officer upholds the citation, you are responsible for paying the fine. The decision of the Code Hearings Officer is final.
What happens if I'm financially unable to pay my fine?
If you are unable to pay your citation due to financial hardship, contact Portland Parks & Recreation by phone at 503-823-DOGS (3647) or email email@example.com to request financial hardship consideration.