Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Parks & Recreation

Healthy Parks, Healthy Portland

Phone: 503-823-7529

1120 SW Fifth Avenue, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Leash and Scoop Law Citations

Portland Parks & Recreation encourages compliance with leash and scoop laws through a variety of outreach and enforcement efforts. Park Rangers do issue citations of up to $150 for violation leash and scoop regulations. Multnomah County Animal Control may also issue citations for leash/scoop violations, under Multnomah County law. 

Paying or Appealing Your Citation

If you receive a citation for violation of City Code 20.12.140, you must do one of the following or the citation will be delinquent. If the citation becomes delinquent, it will be assigned to the Department of Revenue for collection. 

Pay Your Citation
Include your citation and mail a check or money order payable to Portland Parks & Recreation at 1120 SW 5th Avenue, Portland Oregon 97204. Or pay in person or by phone through the PP&R Customer Service Center at 1120 SW 5th Avenue, First Floor, Portland, Oregon 97204. Please have your citation number when paying. Payment must be received within 30 days of infraction.

Appeal Your Citation
If you believe you were not in violation of the code at the time cited, you may appeal the citation. If a person wishes to appeal PP&R dog off leash citation:

  1. Appeals must be filed in writing within 10 days from the time of the citation.Appeals must be filed directly with the Code Hearings Officer’s office - 1900 SW 4th Avenue, Room 3100, Portland, Oregon 97201.
  2. A filing fee ($10.00) or a completed fee appeal waiver form must be submitted during filing.
  3. Please include a copy of your citation, any documents, pictures or papers that you believe will be important to the hearing officer in making a determination. 

Request Financial Hardship Consideration
If you are unable to pay your citation due to financial hardship, contact Portland Parks & Recreation 503-823-DOGS (3647) or email to request financial hardship consideration.