July 10 - 22, 2017
Register now for Chamber Groups or Chamber Orchestra by calling 503-823-3177.
These two programs together make a great day-camp experience!
How to Apply
- Call the CMC office at 503-823-3177 to reserve an audition time (Auditions May 20, 22, June 1 & 3)
- Deadline to enroll: Saturday, June 3, 2017.
- Registration forms and audition information also available at communitymusiccenter.org
- This program is designed for intermediate to advanced players.
- Payment is required to schedule an audition time.
- There will be no refund of fees except for students not placed in a group.
- 100% attendance required for full two weeks, plus final concert.
- Saturday, May 20
- Monday, May 22
- Thursday, June 1
- Saturday, June 3
Auditions are 15 min. appointments each to guide the program director in assigning peer groups and repertoire. Call to CMC to schedule a time, and bring a prepared piece and two scales of your own choice.
|Chamber Groups||Chamber Orchestra: Baroque Rules!|
|Play trios, quartets or other works for strings, winds & piano with peers! CMC’s Chamber music serves the musical development of young musicians by refining ensemble skills & interpretive abilities through instruction with some of the region’s top performing-artist instructors. Players are placed into chamber groups by audition (see below). Ensembles have one hour each day with their coach, then rehearse a second hour supervised by an intern coach. All groups perform their finished work at the end of the program.||When are ‘fast’ notes played slowly, and ‘slow’ notes played quickly? Are all notes that look the same treated the same? Get into the minds of composers like Bach, Telemann & Vivaldi, and discover new takes on old rules while playing masterpieces of the era. Andrew Ehrlich, conductor.|
PROGRAM DATES & TIMES
- Monday, July 10 - Friday, July 14
- Monday, July 17 - Friday, July 21
Chamber Groups meet 11:00 - 1:00 pm
Chamber Orchestra meets: 1:30 - 3:00 pm
- Friday, July 21 at Noon (Director Park)
- Saturday, July 22, 2:00 pm (CMC)
$285 (Portland residents) / $399 (non-residents)
Violists and Cellists receive a 20% discount
- $95 (Portland residents) / $133 (non-residents)
- 20% off for those participating in chamber music.
Need-based scholarships are available.
PREREQUISITES FOR CHAMBER PROGRAM
Ability to read music at playing level & some prior ensemble experience; for strings, vibrato and flexible bow technique. Suggested level for violins is Suzuki Book 4 and above, violas & cellos at Suzuki Book 3 or above.
Instructors are performing artists from CMC’s renowned faculty with extensive chamber music experience. Visiting international guest artists for master classes are provided by Chamber Music Northwest as available.
Andrew Ehrlich: BA Yale University; MM (violin performance) Illinois State University. Concertmaster: Portland Chamber Orchestra.
Michelle Rahn: DMA, Performance Diploma and MM from Boston University. BM University of Oregon. Professor of Viola at University of Oregon.
Katherine Schultz: BM Northwestern University, MM Rice University. Principal of Portland Chamber Orchestra, Asst. Principal of Oregon Ballet Theater. Plays with Alameda Trio.
What People are Saying...
- "This is a FABULOUS program! My sons gained so much confidence and were just jubilant after rehearsals."
- "My child was self-motivated to practice more. I was quite surprised to see him working hard."
- "The coach was superb and brought such a perfect blend of fun, laughter, and delightful learning to the classroom each day. "
- "High quality program, wonderful instruction. Our son was excited to learn new things every day. He loves Baroque now."
- "Super coaches."
- "Well organized and efficient."