Summer Chamber Music Program 2019
For Strings, Winds, & Piano
New one-week format: June 17 – 22
The summer program is designed for intermediate to advanced players age 8 - 18 with ability to learn and perform new repertoire in an intensive environment.
CHAMBER GROUPS & CHAMBER ORCHESTRA
Play trios, quartets or other works for strings, winds & piano with peers! The Community Music Center (CMC) Chamber Music Program serves the musical development of young musicians by refining ensemble skills & interpretive abilities. Players are placed into chamber groups by audition and matched by age and playing level. Groups perform their finished work for the public at CMC.
Instructors are renowned artists from CMC’s performing faculty. All teachers have extensive chamber music experience. The program includes a master class and workshops by visiting teaching artists.
NEW THIS YEAR
We have packed six days full of engaging programs to give participants a well-rounded, rewarding and skill-building session.
New features this year include:
- Earlier auditions and placement, so you can plan your summer sooner.
- One-week format, to better fit your schedule.
- Activities such as rhythm warm-ups. and workshops on the art of practicing, improvisation, and knowing the score.
- Groups may be chosen from this camp to perform in parks this July and August.
The program still features:
- More than 12 hours of chamber music coaching and rehearsals.
- Up to 9 hours of chamber orchestra. This year build your Baroque repertoire, and try Classical, Celtic and Klezmer, too. Opportunities may be offered to prepared students to perform solos.
- Master class with a guest artist.
- Student performances.
Prerequisites for the program: Ability to read music at playing level and some prior ensemble experience. For strings: vibrato and flexible bow technique are helpful; suggested level for violins is Suzuki Book 4 and above, violas & cellos at Suzuki Book 3 or above.
DATES & TIMES
Program runs: June 17 - 22, 2019
Classes meet: Monday - Friday 9:00 am - 5:00 pm, Saturday 9:00 - 4:00 pm
Concert: Saturday, June 22 at 2:00 pm
- Saturday, March 16
- Thursday, March 21
Students notified of placement in early April.
HOW TO APPLY
Call CMC (503-823-3177) to schedule a time to audition on one of these listed days. Apply as soon as possible - auditions are scheduled in order of application.
Auditions are 15 minutes each. They guide the instructors in assigning chamber groups and repertoire. Bring a prepared piece and two scales of your own choice.
WHAT PEOPLE HAVE SAID about our Chamber Music Programs:
- "This is a FABULOUS program! My sons gained so much confidence & were just jubilant after rehearsals."
- "The coach was superb and brought such a perfect blend of fun, laughter, and delightful learning to the classroom."
- "My child was self-motivated to practice more."
- "Well organized and efficient."
- $295 (Portland residents)
- $399 (non-residents of Portland)
Violists and Cellists receive a 20% discount.
Need-based scholarships are available.
Note: participants bring their own sack lunch; meals not provided.
- Payment is required to schedule an audition
- After the audition there will be no refund of fees except for students not placed in a group.
- 100% attendance required for full week including final concert.
This program is supported by the nonprofit CMC Inc. and funded in part by the Naomi Blumberg Fund for Chamber Music Education.