This page provides resources for Neighborhood Tree Teams before, during, and after a neighborhood tree inventory. Explore the links below to find outreach materials useful in recruiting volunteers and planning workday logistics. Can't find what you need? Contact us at email@example.com.
Inventory Work Days and Protocol
A Park's tree data are collected during one or two work days, held between June and September. At work days, volunteer teams collect data on tree location, tree species, tree condition, and tree size. Each team is led by a Team Leader who has undergone training in the inventory protocol. Data are collected and mapped using ArcGIS Collector on a mobile device provided by Urban Forestry.
Since the first inventory in 2010, the protocol used for the Tree Inventory Project has evolved to best fit the tree goals of participating neighborhoods. The most current protocol is available in the 2017 Parks Tree Inventory Manual. Following is a list of tools and resources used during training and on work days.
- 2017 Inventory Organizer Training Materials
- 2017 Parks Tree Inventory Manual
- 2017 Team Leader Training presentation
- Conifer cheat sheet
- Maple cheat sheet
Volunteer support is essential in the successful completion of your neighborhood's Parks tree inventory. Not only will data collection move quickly with many helping hands; the involvement of your neighbors and community will encourage a greater sense of collective tree stewardship and neighborhood stewardship. Feel free to use the following resources to help you recruit volunteers for inventory workdays!
If you would like other outreach materials translated in Spanish or other languages, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and allow for a minimum 2-week turnaround time.
- Social media worksheet
- 2017 flyer template for Team Leader Training (half sheet)
- 2017 flyer template for recruiting volunteers
- 2017 1/4 sheet flyer template front and back for recruiting volunteers
- 2017 door hanger template
- Sample Press Release template to be tailored to recruit volunteers in local media
- Tree Inventory brochure to use at neighborhood outreach events. Printed copies are available.
- Neighborhood Involvement Directory (February 2017) for seeking support from your neighborhood association
- Talking Points: Refer to our Why Inventory Trees webpage
- List of local tree care providers for recruiting volunteer arborists on-call
- Photos from past inventories
This webpage is updated often - please check back again soon!