This page is home to the resources provided to Neighborhood Tree Teams before, during, and after a neighborhood tree inventory. Explore the links below to find outreach materials used in recruiting volunteers and planning workday logistics.
Note that inventory workdays are not planned for 2020 - information below is just for reference.
Inventory Work Days and Protocol
A Park's tree data are collected during one or two work days, held between June and September. At work days, volunteer teams collect data on tree location, tree species, tree condition, and tree size. Each team is led by a Team Leader who has undergone training in the inventory protocol. Data are collected and mapped using ArcGIS Collector on a mobile device provided by Urban Forestry.
Since the first inventory in 2010, the protocol used for the Tree Inventory Project has evolved to best fit the tree goals of participating neighborhoods. Below are links to the latest tools and resources used during training and on work days.
Volunteer support is essential in the successful completion of your neighborhood's Park Tree Inventory. Not only will data collection move quickly with many helping hands; the involvement of your neighbors and community will encourage a greater sense of collective neighborhood stewardship. Feel free to use the following resources to help you recruit volunteers for inventory workdays!
If you would like other outreach materials translated in Spanish or other languages, please contact us at firstname.lastname@example.org and allow for a minimum 2-week turnaround time.
- Social media worksheet
- Flyer template for recruiting volunteers
- 1/4 sheet flyer template for recruiting volunteers
- Door hanger template
- Sample Press Release template to be tailored to recruit volunteers in local media
- Neighborhood Involvement Directory for seeking support from your neighborhood association
- Talking Points: Refer to our Why Inventory Trees webpage
- List of local tree care providers for recruiting volunteer arborists on-call
- Photos from past inventories