Are YOU interested in spending your summer with PP&R's Environmental Education program? Take a few minutes to learn who we are, who we serve and what we have to offer. We value diversity on our staff - we strive to create a staff rich in culture, language, backgrounds and ideas.
Does your camp philosophy match ours?
Through the guidance of a team of Environmental Educators, the goal of Summer Nature Day Camp is to provide opportunities for children ages 4-13 to follow their innate curiosity with a goal of learning, exploration and discovery; to connect with their natural surroundings through experience & exposure to flora & fauna; and to create positive relationships with meaningful, highly trained naturalists. Through their interactions with nature, an experienced educator and other children, campers may be inspired to share their discoveries and become future stewards of nature, in Portland and beyond.
Our teaching goals at Nature Day Camp...
- We give children the opportunity to spend time in nature with highly trained teachers, teen-aged assistants and peers. Children experience a unique balance of hands-on exploration, child-directed learning, unstructured play and teacher-directed games, projects and investigations.
- We introduce Leave No Trace principles and strive to encourage an overall appreciation of the park grounds, natural spaces and materials. We know that the appreciation of nature comes through a personal connection to the plants, animals and ecological concepts discovered in each park.
- We find ways to say "yes" and redirect attention while creating a safe environment to explore.
- We allow space and time for children to think, process and ask questions.
- As environmental educators, we are inspired by our own natural curiosity and honest wonderment of nature. We can share and learn too… and we believe children have a lot to teach us!
We offer summer work for people 16 yrs and older!
- Beginning, Mid-level & Experienced Naturalist Positions with our Summer Nature Day Camp program and DIY Nature Camps
- Beginning, Mid-level & Experienced Naturalist Positions with our partial-day Preschool Camps
- Site Coordinator and Mentoring Coach/After Care positions that work closely with campers, parents and the EE Coordinator - (the people who help make sure camp is fun & successful!)
- Volunteer positions with Summer Nature Day Camp or the Rockin' Robins (preschool camp) for teen ages 13-17
***We of course are excited for you to apply for Nature Day Camp - but Portland Parks offers many other summer job opportunities too! If you are looking for information about summer jobs with PP&R Aquatics, Community Center Camps, or Adaptive & Inclusive Recreation, find information about those jobs here!***