Weeks Available for Volunteering as a Teacher Apprentice
All teacher apprentices must attend a required volunteer training - dates/times/locations are listed below.
Each week, teacher Apprentices must commit to being at camp on Monday from 8am - 3:30pm, and Tuesday through Friday from 8:30am-3:30pm. On Monday morning you will join the staff in our pre-camp meeting. Our Mentoring Coaches will also be checking in with you throughout the week!
Teacher Apprentices must attend one of the following days of training (even if you've volunteered before!):
Option 1: 10am-3pm, Wednesday, June 21 @ Hoyt Arboretum (Meeting at the covered Pavilion)
Options 2: 10am-3pm, Thursday, June 22 @ Mt Tabor Park (Meeting at the Picnic Shelter)
ALL REGISTRATIONS FOR THIS PROGRAM ARE DONE OVER THE PHONE.
Call the EE Office at 503-823-3601 or the Customer Service Center at 503-823-2525.
|Dates||Location||Ages||Nature Theme for the Week (children are ages 5-9)||Activity #||Cost|
|June 26-30||Hoyt Arboretum||13-17 yrs||Animals, Adapt or Die!||1064793||$25.00|
|June 26-30||Mt Tabor Park||13-17 yrs||Animals, Adapt or Die!||1064785||$25.00|
|July 10-14 Waitlist!||Hoyt Arboretum||13-17 yrs||Plant Potions!||1064726||$25.00|
|July 10-14||Mt Tabor Park||13-17 yrs||Plant Potions!||1064786||$25.00|
|July 17-21||Hoyt Arboretum||13-17 yrs||Look Mom, No Spine!||1064727||$25.00|
|July 17-21||Mt Tabor Park||13-17 yrs||Look Mom, No Spine!||1064787||$25.00|
|July 24-28||Leach Botanical Garden||13-17 yrs||Buzz & Flutter||1064794||$25.00|
|July 24-28||Mt Tabor Park||13-17 yrs||Buzz & Flutter||1064788||$25.00|
|July 31-Aug 4||Marshall Park||13-17 yrs||Wet & Wild Watersheds||1064796||$25.00|
|July 31-Aug 4 Waitlist!||Sellwood Park/Oaks Bottom||13-17 yrs||Wet & Wild Watersheds||1064795||$25.00|
|Aug 7-11||Hoyt Arboretum||13-17 yrs||Let's Wing It!||1064728||$25.00|
|Aug 7-11 Waitlist!||Mt Tabor Park||13-17 yrs||Let's Wing It!||1064789||$25.00|
|Aug 14-18 Waitlist!||Hoyt Arboretum||13-17 yrs||You Are Here.||1064792||$25.00|
|Aug 14-18||Mt Tabor Park||13-17 yrs||You Are Here.||1064790||$25.00|
|Aug 21-25||Mt Tabor Park||13-17 yrs||Imagine, Invent, Inspire!||1064791||$25.00|
|Aug 21-25||Hoyt Arboretum||13-17 yrs||Imagine, Invent, Inspire!||1065692||$25.00|
Does your camp philosophy match ours?
Our teaching goals at Nature Day Camp...
- We give children the opportunity to spend time in nature with highly trained teachers, teen-aged assistants and peers. Children experience a unique balance of hands-on exploration, child-directed learning, unstructured play and teacher-directed games, projects and investigations.
- We introduce Leave No Trace principles and strive to encourage an overall appreciation of the park grounds, natural spaces and materials. We know that the appreciation of nature comes through a personal connection to the plants, animals and ecological concepts discovered in each park.
- We find ways to say "yes" and redirect attention while creating a safe environment to explore.
- We allow space and time for children to think, process and ask questions.
- As environmental educators, we are inspired by our own natural curiosity and honest wonderment of nature. We can share and learn too… and we believe children have a lot to teach us!