Book your wedding in a PP&R park for 2017 dates; in-person registrations get priority.
POSTED DECEMBER 30, 2016
(Portland, OR) –
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) will begin issuing wedding permits for ceremonies at PP&R sites beginning on Tuesday, January 3, 2017 at 8am for walk-in registration only. Online, phone, and registration by fax will then begin at 12pm that day. Many eager bride- and grooms-to-be typically show up in person, some standing in line for hours in the early morning, to secure their preferred venue and date.
Photo: people in line to reserve wedding permits at the PP&R Customer Service Center on the first business day of the year.
Registration takes place at the PP&R Customer Service Center, located at 1134 SW 5th Ave - the corner of SW 5th & Madison. From 8am until noon, people arriving in person will be served before phone calls or other methods of registration. Reservations will then be taken online, by phone, and by fax starting at 12pm on January 3. The Customer Service Center phone number is 503-823-2525.
Portland Parks & Recreation (PP&R) is the proud steward of more than 200 parks, gardens, and natural settings that can be reserved for weddings and/or receptions. These lovely settings are the perfect locations for ceremonies and celebrations. Some popular destinations include the International Rose Test Gardens, Cathedral Park, Mt. Tabor, the Portland Memory Garden, and the Peninsula Park rose gardens; but there are many other ideal sites for weddings of various sizes. For more info on weddings in a PP&R park, please visit the info page at http://www.portlandoregon.gov/parks/38300.
PP&R provides hot beverages to those standing in line, to help customers through the early morning chill. Portland Parks & Recreation typically handles nearly 100 wedding permits on the first business day of the year.
“It’s typically very cold, but a very special and exciting time,” says Shawn Rogers, the Customer Service Manager for Portland Parks & Recreation. “Our staff knows that we’re helping people with their wedding dreams, to some extent. It’s a great feeling to see people walk away with the date and location they were hoping for, which most of them do.”
Prior to January 3, please go to the PP&R online reservations system and walk through the steps to create an account. You may also call our Customer Service Center to establish your account. Creating your account ahead of time will speed up the reservation process.
Several parking lots are available nearby. Be aware that street parking directly around the Portland Building is limited to 15 minutes during certain hours.
Tips for future newlyweds:
- Please come prepared with your first, second, and third preferences for both a wedding location and a date.
- Be prepared to pay the Application Processing Fee required to hold your reservation. We accept payment by cash, check, and Visa/MasterCard/American Express.
A few other things to know:
- While weddings may be scheduled at a picnic site, receptions cannot be scheduled in a wedding garden (only the ceremony portion).
- For information on weddings at Portland Public Golf courses, please contact the course directly.
- City Code requires that a permit be obtained for any wedding in a public park where guests are invited. Permits are issued by the PP&R Customer Service Center located on the first floor of the Portland Building at 1134 SW 5th Avenue. Office hours are 8:00 PM - 5:30 PM, Monday - Friday.
Phone: 503-823-2525 | Fax: 503-823-2515
- Weddings are not permitted at the Japanese Garden, Pittock Mansion and surrounding Pittock grounds, or at the Portland International Raceway.
- Check the PP&R wedding brochure for locations, fees, policies, insurance, and other reservation information.
# # #