Let’s work together to create a great neighborhood event. Summer 2018 marks the 12th season of free Movies in the Park events throughout Portland. Producing these special events is possible with the help of community organizations like yours! Building partnerships with a variety of community organizations in Portland allows us to enrich the cultural fabric of our city.
- What We Do
- What You Do
- On-site Fundraising
- Cancellation Policy
- Event Application and Timelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 2018 Movie Selections
- Contact us
Summer Free For All events are funded through a variety of supporters, including you! Every Summer Free For All event is free to attend. We plan and produce the event; you provide community support. The following is provided by Portland Parks & Recreation for Summer Free For All movie events:
- Event set up, implementation, and clean-up
- Technical set-up and production
- Movie licensing – tell us your top three movie picks!
- Inflatable movie screen and park “surround sound”
- Pre-movie entertainment (local, family-friendly, culturally diverse artists)
- Food vendors and free popcorn
- Park permits and noise variances
- Portable restrooms
- Event banner
- Marketing in the Summer Free For All schedule – in print and online
- Major sponsorship fundraising efforts
In 2018, the community contribution for each Movie in the Park event is $900.* Keeping the community contribution low (approximately 20% of event cost) allows the program to ensure equitable access for all Portland communities. Due to high demand, we limit one movie event per community group. Raising funds for your event requires time and commitment from dedicated community volunteers. Common fundraising methods include:
- Local business sponsorships through our online form at portlandoregon.gov/parks/sffasponsor
- Pre-season community fundraisers
*Contact firstname.lastname@example.org to inquire about need-based scholarships.
Summer Free For All will fundraise at each event by collecting optional donations from the audience during the pre-movie entertainment. These funds are needed to bridge the funding gap due to rising costs. Fundraising efforts beyond those described here are not permitted at Summer Free For All events.
Our equipment is expensive and very sensitive to heat and moisture. When it rains or is excessively hot, we often have to cancel events. If we must cancel your event, here is what you can expect:
- Staff will contact you by 2:00pm the day of your event (or earlier if possible).
- You will be placed on our priority list for an event the following year.
- 75% of your community contribution will be refunded.
January 29, 2018 - Applications due
February 9, 2018 - Acceptance notifications
June 1, 2018 - Payments due
Summer Free For All often receives more applications than can be accommodated in our summer schedule. This application does not guarantee selection.
In the event that we receive more applications than we can schedule events, community groups whose events were canceled in 2017 due to inclement weather, and community groups that applied in 2017 but were not selected get priority.
Other applications will be weighed, giving preference to; organizations that represent culturally-specific, access-based, or under-served communities; organizations that partner with other organizations to put on the event; events that would most evenly spread the geographic distribution of Movies in the Park throughout the city.
- How can we make our event unique? You can work with your community organization to theme your event, provide face painters, reptile zoo, etc.
- Can we have a barbecue? Permits are required for barbecues in any Portland park. Please contact Oregon Health Authority and Portland Fire & Rescue.
- What can we do to promote our event? Work with community groups to spread word of mouth and use social media. However, you may not use PP&R logos as it takes special permissions and guidelines.
- How can we fundraise? Contact your community organizations and local business for sponsorship and apply for grants. Sponsor benefits for 2018 can be found at portlandoregon.gov/parks/sffasponsor.
- Can we fundraise on-site? No. On-site fundraising is reserved for Summer Free For All to help offset expenses.
- When does the movie start? Pre-movie entertainment begins at 6:30pm, followed by the movie just after sunset. Sunset times vary throughout the summer, and the movie start time can also be affected by clouds, street lights, or nearby trees. We will start the movie when it is dark enough to clearly see the screen.
Ask our Summer Free For All team for other available movie releases to tailor your community event!
|Arctic Justice (2018) NR
A Wrinkle in Time (2018) PG
Battle of the Sexes (2017) PG-13
Beauty and the Beast (2017) PG
Black Panther (2018) PG-13
The Boss Baby (2017) PG
The Breadwinner (2017) PG-13
Cars 3 (2017) G
Coco (2017) PG
Condorito: La Pelicula (2017) NR
Despicable Me 3 (2017) PG
Ferdinand (2017) PG
The Greatest Showman (2017) PG
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) PG-13
|Isle of Dogs (2018) NR
Jumanji: Welcome to the Jungle (2017) PG-13
Justice League (2017) PG-13
The Lego Batman Movie (2017) PG
Mary and the Witch’s Flower (2017) NR
My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) PG
Peter Rabbit (2018)
Sergio & Sergei (2017) NR
Step (2017) PG
Spider-Man: Homecoming (2017) PG-13
Star Wars: The Last Jedi (2017) PG-13
Transformers: The Last Knight (2017) PG-13
Wonder Woman (2017) PG-13
|Big Hero 6 (2014) PG
Boy and the World (2013) PG
Dr. Seuss’ the Lorax (2012) PG
El Libro de la Vida (Book of Life) (2014) PG
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) PG
Finding Dory (2016) PG
From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) PG
Home (2015) PG
Inside Out (2015) PG
The Jungle Book (2016) PG
|Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet (2014) PG
Kubo and the Two Strings (2016) PG
Leap! (2016) PG
Moana (2016) PG
My Life as a Zucchini (2016) PG-13
Sing (2016) PG
The Secret Life of Pets (2016) PG
The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013) PG
Zootopia (2016) PG
|A League of Their Own (1992) PG
Beetlejuice (1988) PG
Clueless (1995) PG-13
Dead Poets Society (1989) PG
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) PG-13
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) PG
Ghostbusters (1984) PG
Hocus Pocus (1993) PG
Jaws (1975) PG
Labyrinth (1986) PG
|Pirates of the Caribbean: Curse of the Black Pearl (2003) PG-13
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) PG
Sister Act (1992) PGSpace Jam (1996) PG
The Goonies (1985) PG
The NeverEnding Story (1984) PG
The Princess Bride (1987) PG
The Sandlot (1993) PG
The Wizard of Oz (1939) G
The Wiz (1978) G
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) G
|INDEPENDENT & CONTEMPORARY|
|42 (2013) PG-13
Akeelah and the Bee (2006) PG
Annie (2014) PG
Arrival (2016) PG-13
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) PG-13
Bend It Like Beckham (2002) PG-13
The Eagle Huntress (2016) G
Fantastic Beasts and Where to
Find Them (2016) PG-13
Fences (2016) PG-13
Ghostbusters (2016) PG-13
Growing Up Smith (2015) PG-13
Hidden Figures (2016) PG
|Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) PG-13
The Karate Kid (2010) PG
Loving (2016) PG-13
The Namesake (2006) PG-13
No Manches Frida (2016) PG-13
Owl and the Sparrow (2007) PG
Pelé: Birth of a Legend (2016) PG
Queen of Katwe (2016) PG
Rogue One: A Star Wars Story (2016) PG-13
Selma (2014) PG-13
Songs My Brothers Taught Me (2015) NR
Whale Rider (2002) PG-13
Questions about Movies in the Park?
503-823-5059 | email@example.com