Want to bring free outdoor movies to your community?
Let’s work together to create a great neighborhood event.
Summer 2019 marks the 13th season of free Movies in the Park events throughout Portland. Producing these special events is possible with the help of community organizations like yours! Building partnerships with a variety of community organizations in Portland allows us to enrich the cultural fabric of our city.
- What We Do
- What You Do
- On-site Fundraising
- Cancellation Policy
- Event Application and Timelines
- Frequently Asked Questions
- 2018 Movie Selections
- Contact us
Summer Free For All (SFFA) events are funded through a variety of supporters, including you! Every Summer Free For All event is free to attend. We plan and produce the event; you provide community support.
The following is provided by Portland Parks & Recreation for Summer Free For All movie events:
- Movie licensing – tell us your top three movie picks!
- Marketing the SFFA schedule – in print and online
- Onsite staff for event set up, implementation, and clean-up
- Technical set-up and production (stage, sound system, and projector)
- Inflatable movie screen and park “surround sound”
- Pre-movie entertainment (local, family-friendly, culturally diverse artists and performers)
- Food vendors and free popcorn!
- Park permits and noise variances
- Portable restrooms
- (1) Event banner
- Major sponsorship fundraising efforts
The primary role of groups that partner with SFFA is to meet their community contribution; spread the word about the event; and engage with neighbors to make the event truly a community affair. The community contribution for each Movie in the Park event is $900. Keeping the community contribution low (approximately 20% of event cost) allows the program to ensure equitable access for all Portland communities. Due to high demand, we limit one movie event per community group. Raising funds for your event requires time and commitment from dedicated community volunteers and we encourage community groups to raise funds in advance.
Common fundraising methods include:
- Local business sponsorships through our online form at portlandoregon.gov/parks/sffasponsor
- Pre-season community fundraisers (raffles, auctions, online fundraising, etc.)
Summer Free For All will fundraise at each event by collecting optional donations from the audience during the pre-movie entertainment. These funds are needed to bridge the funding gap due to rising costs. Fundraising efforts beyond those described here are not permitted at Summer Free For All events.
Our equipment is expensive and very sensitive to heat and moisture. When it rains or is excessively hot, we often have to cancel events. If we must cancel your event, here is what you can expect:
- Staff will contact you by 3pm the day of your event.
- You will be placed on our priority list for an event the following year.
- 100% of your community contribution will be refunded.
- Cancelled events will not be rescheduled.
February 1, 2019 - Applications due
February 15, 2019 - Acceptance notifications
June 1, 2019 - Payments due
Summer Free For All often receives more applications than can be accommodated in our summer schedule. This application does not guarantee selection.
In the event that we receive more applications than we can schedule events, community groups whose events were canceled in 2018 get priority.
Other applications will be weighed, giving preference to; organizations that represent culturally-specific, access-based, or under-served communities; organizations that partner with other organizations to put on the event; events that would most evenly spread the geographic distribution of Movies in the Park throughout the city.
- How can we make our event unique? We encourage you to engage with neighbors and your community organization to make your event unique. Some ways groups have customized their events in the past include hiring face painters, providing a reptile zoo or arts and crafts or hosting a neighborhood barbecue.
- Can we have a barbecue? Permits are required for barbecues in any Portland park. Please contact Oregon Health Authority and Portland Fire & Rescue.
- What can we do to promote our event? Some ways to get the word out include local business sponsorships, partnering with other community groups to host the event, pre-summer fundraisers, creating a unique poster/image for the event, and using social media. However, you may not use PP&R logos as it takes special permissions and guidelines.
- How can we fundraise? Host a pre-event community fundraiser such as a raffle, auction or online fundraiser, apply for grants, or contact your local community organizations and businesses for sponsorship. Sponsor benefits for 2018 can be found at portlandoregon.gov/parks/sffasponsor.
- Can we fundraise on-site? No. On-site fundraising is reserved for Summer Free For All to help offset expenses.
- When does the movie start? Pre-movie entertainment begins at 6:30pm, followed by the movie just after sunset. Sunset times vary throughout the summer, and the movie start time can also be affected by clouds, street lights, or nearby trees. We will start the movie when it is dark enough to clearly see the screen.
Ask our Summer Free For All team for other available movie releases to tailor your community event!
|Ant-man & The Wasp (2018) PG-13
Aquaman (2018) PG-13
Avengers: Infinity War (2018) PG-13
Black Panther (2018) PG-13
Bohemian Rhapsody (2018) PG-13
Captain Marvel (2019)
Christopher Robin (2018) PG
Fantastic Beasts: The Crimes of Grindelwald (2018) PG-13
Hotel Transylvania 3: Summer Vacation (2018) PG
How to Train Your Dragon: The Hidden World (2019) PG
Incredibles 2 (2018) PG
Isle of Dogs (2018) NR
|Jurassic World: Fallen Kingdom (2018) PG-13
Lego Movie 2: The Second Part (2019)
Mary Poppins Returns (2018) PG
Ralph Breaks the Internet (2018) PG
Robin Hood (2018) PG-13
Smallfoot (2018) PG
Solo: A Star Wars Story (2018) PG-13
Spider-Man: Into the Spider-Verse (2018)
Teen Titans Go! To the Movies (2018) PG
Venom (2018) PG-13
Wonder Park (2019) PG
|Big Hero 6 (2014) PG
Boy and the World (2013) PG
Coco (2017) PG
Despicable Me 3 (2017) PG
El Libro de la Vida (Book of Life) (2014) PG
Fantastic Mr. Fox (2009) PG
Ferdinand (2017) PG
Finding Dory (2016) PG
From Up on Poppy Hill (2011) PG
Home (2015) PG
Inside Out (2015) PG
The Jungle Book (2016) PG
|Kahlil Gibran’s The Prophet (2014) PG
Kubo and the Two Strings (2016) PG
Mary and the Witch’s Flower (2017) NR
Moana (2016) PG
My Life as a Zucchini (2016) PG-13
My Little Pony: The Movie (2017) PG
Sing (2016) PG
The Breadwinner (2017) NR
The Lego Batman Movie (2017) PG
The Secret Life of Pets (2016) PG
The Tale of Princess Kaguya (2013) PG
Zootopia (2016) PG
|A League of Their Own (1992) PG
Back to the Future (1985) PG
Beetlejuice (1988) PG
Bill & Ted’s Excellent Adventure (1989) PG
Clueless (1995) PG-13
Dirty Dancing (1987) PG-13
Ferris Bueller’s Day Off (1986) PG-13
E.T. the Extra-Terrestrial (1982) PG
Ghostbusters (1984) PG
Grease (1978) PG
Gremlins (1984) PG
Hocus Pocus (1993) PG
Jaws (1975) PG
|Labyrinth (1986) PG
Pee-wee’s Big Adventure (1985) PG
Raiders of the Lost Ark (1981) PG
Sister Act (1992) PG
Space Jam (1996) PG
The Goonies (1985) PG
The NeverEnding Story (1984) PG
The Princess Bride (1987) PG
The Sandlot (1993) PG
The Wizard of Oz (1939) G
The Wiz (1978) G
Willy Wonka & the Chocolate Factory (1971) G
|INDEPENDENT & CONTEMPORARY|
|42 (2013) PG-13
Akeelah and the Bee (2066) PG
Annie (2014) PG
Beasts of the Southern Wild (2012) PG-13
Beauty and the Beast (2017) PG
Bend It Like Beckham (2002) PG-13
The Eagle Huntress (2016) G
Fences (2016) PG-13
Ghostbusters (2016) PG-13
Growing Up Smith (2015) PG-13
Guardians of the Galaxy Vol. 2 (2017) PG-13
Hidden Figures (2016) PG
Hunt for the Wilderpeople (2016) PG-13
|The Karate Kid (2010) PG
Loving (2016) PG-13
The Namesake (2006) PG-13
No Manches Frida (2016) PG-13
Owl and the Sparrow (2007) PG
Pelé: Birth of a Legend (2016) PG
Queen of Katwe (2016) PG
Selma (2014) PG-13
Sergio & Sergei (2017) NR
Songs My Brothers Taught Me (2015) NR
Whale Rider (2002) PG-13
Wonder Woman (2017) PG-13
Questions about Movies in the Park?
503-823-5059 | email@example.com