Do you love fruit trees? Would you enjoy growing and pruning persimmons, Asian pears, figs, apples, quince, and medlars? Urban Forestry is seeking two volunteers to help maintain our demonstration orchard. Planted in 2010, the orchard is home to 55 diverse species of fruit and nut trees. This demonstration site is used to teach fruit tree pruning and care and is primarily maintained by volunteers. We are seeking two volunteers to visit regularly and assist with maintenance and education activities. If you are passionate about fruit trees, don't mind getting your hands dirty, and can work independently, this is a great opportunity for you!
Volunteer time commitment: 10-15 hours per month, mostly during business hours (Monday through Friday between 7 am and 3:30 pm). Please be able to commit to six months.
Location: Urban Forestry, 10910 N Denver Ave. Learn more about the trees here.
- Conduct maintenance activities, including weeding, training, pruning, fruit thinning, fruit sox application, harvest, and mason bee care
- Keep tree tags and records updated
- Take photos and write social media posts on fruit tree maintenance
- Visit other community orchards to gather ideas for education and management
- Develop an annual maintenance and education schedule
- Help host quarterly volunteer events
To apply, please send a short letter of interest, resume if you have one handy, and your availability to: email@example.com. We will review interest letters on March 19, 2018.