In 1891, the City of Albina bought a tract of wooded land to be used for Albina's first park, however, it wasn't developed until after Albina consolidated with the City of Portland. In 1909, G.H. Hoch, the head gardener for Washington Park, oversaw the design work for Columbia Park. He patterned the park after a famous park in Berlin, Germany.
Columbia Cottage was built in 1940 and has served as a field house, dance hall, and National Guard command center. In 1989, when the city wanted to build a parking lot for Columbia Pool, the neighborhood banded together and saved the magical cottage. The cottage is operated by the Friends of Columbia Park.