Eastmoreland is Oregon's second oldest golf course. It came into being originally as a golf course for the use of members of the Multnomah Athletic Club. When one of the members of the Multnomah Club returned from Spokane, where he saw how a golf course was created with help from the municipal Park Commission, an idea had been planted. A committee was organized, with members serving from each of the three local golf courses (Waverly, Portland, and Tualatin). The plan was to rent a 150-acre plot of pasture land that had been leased to the Willsburg Dairy. This agreement was to have lasted for five years. Portland's Mayor Albee approved of the project, and soon the City was purchasing rather than renting. Chandler Egan, a former national amateur golf champion and leading golf course architect, was commissioned to design the course, and in 1917, Portland had its first public golf course.