Since the late 1970s, Kingsley Park was mostly unused until a group of Linnton neighbors proposed a community garden be built. Community champions worked with Portland Parks & Recreation to secure funding for the project from West Multnomah Soil and Water Conservation District, and the Bureau of Environmental Services’ Community Watershed Stewardship Program. Community members built raised beds, mulched paths, and removed over 2,000 square feet of blackberries, and replanted with native plants to provide food and forage for pollinators and wildlife. The garden provides space for thirty families to grow food and develop community connections.
Opened the spring of 2017.
Kingsley Park is located in the Willamette watershed between Forest Park and the Willamette River and specifically, in the community of Linnton between NW St. Helens Rd (Highway 30) and the railroad tracks, within the City of Portland. Kingsley Park is 1.14 acres of land donated to the City in 1924 and was used as a park until the late 1970s, when the playground equipment was removed.