Skip to Main Content View Text-Only

The City of Portland, Oregon

Portland Parks & Recreation

Healthy Parks, Healthy Portland

Phone: 503-823-7529

1120 SW Fifth Avenue, Portland, OR 97204

More Contact Info

Linnton Park
Linnton Park
NW 105th Avenue and St. Helens Road Locate this site in PortlandMaps

General Info
Acquired in 1938

Amenities
Includes natural area.
Natural Area

Special Information
Park hours: 5:00am-midnight

Historical Information
This acreage was originally owned by the estate of Aaron Meier, one of the two founders of the Meier and Frank Company. The local Boy Scouts were allowed to use the property and the cabin on it and the timber rights were sold to a logging company. Aaron's son, Oregon Governor Julius Meier, had been approached about donating the property for a park, but the estate declined until 1938 when it made a gift deed to the City on November 8. The Boy Scouts and other groups worked to reforest the property and contiguous property. The Linnton schoolhouse is located in the southeast corner of the park.

The park was named for Lewis F. Linn, the U.S. Senator from Missouri from 1834 until his death in 1843, who was the author and advocate of the Donation Land Act which gave free land to settlers in the Oregon Territory. His efforts carried the bill through the Senate and he was hailed as the "Father of Oregon."