This park is funded through a partnership between Portland Parks & Recreation and Columbia Sportswear, Inc.
In 1893, the town of Sellwood was merged into Portland, but has managed to keep its own identity throughout the years. The area is named for John Sellwood, an Episcopal minister who owned the land claim in what is now the Sellwood area. Sellwood Park used to be the site of the City View Racetrack.
In 2019, the Sellwood Kitchen roof was replaced thanks to funds from the 2014 Parks Replacement Bond.